News

Students, family gather to remember Stanger

Over 200 family and friends gathered at Rockefeller Memorial Chapel Saturday to commemorate second-year Emma Stanger, who died in a car crash last quarter.

Photo: Chris Salata/The Chicago Maroon
Fourth-years Averill Aubrey (left) and Rie Micikas (right) pay their respects at second-year Emma Stanger's memorial service, held Sunday afternoon in Rockefeller Chapel.

The service, organized by the University and two of Stanger’s closest friends—her roommate, second-year Desjree Dickerson and second-year Mimi Zhang—brought together Stanger’s father and brother, professors, adviser and many of her friends.

“We reflected on her life, which was a good life,” Dickerson said after the service.

Stanger, who double majored in chemistry and psychology and was a Kappa Alpha Theta sister, was remembered for her dedication to friends.

Dickerson, Zhang, Stanger’s Theta pledge mom fourth-year Averill Aubrey, academic adviser Michelle McGuire, and Stanger’s organic chemistry professor Valerie Keller spoke at the service.

Second-years Dan Nichols and Paul Riskus also spoke after the microphone was opened to anyone wishing to share their memories. A speech written by second-year Elena Stratitgakes, who is abroad, was also read, and a slideshow of Stanger and her friends was played as well.

Zhang shared a story of her and Stanger’s daily trips to the gym. Even when it was inconvenient for Stanger, Zhang said, she would still go to motivate Zhang.

“I had a hard time coming up with the right things to say,” Zhang said. “But Emma never did anything halfway, and that’s what I wanted to share with memories that captured her essence.”

1 comment on “Students, family gather to remember Stanger