Recent String of Apartment Burglaries; Trauma Center Gets $9.1 Million Gift; Profs Named Guggenheim Fellows

Eleven apartment break ins have occurred in Hyde Park in the past month, including two in which residents were threatened by a man armed with a Taser, according to available CPD data.

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s third week.

In and around Hyde Park:

• The Maroon spoke with two graduate student roommates who were robbed by an armed intruder last month. The students expressed frustration that the University did not send a security alert following their report of a home invasion.

How Hyde Park voted: The Maroon followed up on municipal runoffs to examine how the neighborhood voted in several hotly contested elections.

• Hyde Park area races were more closely divided between Toni Preckwinkle and Lori Lightfoot than other parts of the city. Preckwinkle found support in UChicago- dominated areas and surrounding wards.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

On Campus:

Five UChicago professors this year have been awarded Guggenheim fellowships, which award grants to  “individuals who have already demonstrated exceptional capacity for productive scholarship or exceptional creative ability in the arts.”

UChicago’s trauma center received a $9.1 million donation to expand its social and psychological services for young trauma patients.

• The donation was given by the Ellen & Ronald Block Family Foundation and the Hassenfeld Family Foundation.
  • The trauma center’s one-year anniversary is nearing up on May 1st. Look back on the turbulent history behind its opening here.

In Viewpoints

Editor Alexa Perlmutter and Zahra Nasser write in:

Columnist Soham Mall assesses the ramifications of a switch to the semester system, and concludes that the quarter system should remain and be improved upon.

Naomi Rosen, leader of UChicago’s J Street, argues that pro-annexationist speaker Danny Danon is a dangerous presence at Israel Summit.

Given Birthright’s consistent refusal to acknowledge the demands of young Jews, IfNotNow UChicago calls on UChicago Hillel to reconsider its relationship to the organization.

In Arts

Editor Perri Wilson writes in:

The reaction-inducing scenes in Claire Denis’s newest film, High Life, don’t signify anything. They are not the culmination of familiar ideas taken to their limits, but rather are extremes for their own sake.

Yet again, the South Asian Students Association’s annual cultural show was a sold-out success.

Crossword

Play The Maroon’s crossword online on our new site.

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail.