Letter to the Editor

Is Ron Paul too honest?

Do Google Ron Paul. Despite what Maroon columnist Zack Hill claims (“In Spite of His Honesty, Paul Is Wrong for President,” 10/26/07), being “too principled” is not a defect for a president. In an upcoming presidential election marked by candidates willing to change positions to win popular approval, Ron Paul serves as a breath of fresh air. In fact, Paul’s steadfast devotion to his principles actually strengthens his position as a viable candidate.

Perhaps Hill forgets that the Constitution directly invests many powers in the president when he argues that Paul lacks the necessary amount of compromise to be effective in government. In fact, most of the changes proposed by Paul can be carried out solely by presidential authority. As president, Paul would have the ability to immediately pull U.S. troops out of Iraq and begin streamlining the sprawling federal bureaucracy without compromise.

As sincere supporters of limited government, Ron Paul and other libertarians believe that there are some principles, specifically those enumerated in the Constitution, that should not be compromised. Hill credits Hillary Clinton and Mitt Romney with achieving “unexciting, watered-down change” through compromise. With an exploding budget deficit and a never-ending war in Iraq, the last thing America needs are worthless changes such as these that accomplish nothing. What good are principles anyway if they are so soon to be compromised?

If you agree with Paul’s positions, his commitment to his principles should be his greatest selling point. Unlike other candidates who have left a confusing record of votes in Congress or who have no record at all, Paul has an impeccable voting record that mirrors his principles. Let’s not forget that the current president ran on a platform of limited government and non-intervention and seven years later stands in office with a massive increase in entitlement spending and a foreign war with no end in sight.

As the primary elections near, you will undoubtedly be immersed in pleas from every group under the sun to check out its candidate. Last time I checked, Ron Paul is the only candidate who has refused his Congressional pension since it is paid for by taxpayer money. If this level of commitment to principle turns you off, there are plenty of candidates who are willing to move to the middle for you to get your vote.

Ben Goding and Andrew Greenlee

Class of 2010

Members of U of C Students for Ron Paul