Crime Report – 03.02.04

On Wednesday, February 25 at 9:13 p.m., three teenage boys confronted a 22-year-old man walking alone at 1321 East 53rd street. They told him to “up the money” and surrounded him. He gave the three $16, and they fled. The victim saw a passing UCPD car and informed an officer of the crime. He rode with the officers in the car as they toured the area, and spotted his offenders entering a vehicle. The police followed the vehicle until it stopped at East 54th and Kenwood, where the offenders exited. The officers followed the offenders on foot and were able to take only one offender into custody. The other two escaped. The other two offenders have since been taken into custody, and three are charged with robbery. The court date has not been determined.

On Friday, February 27 at approximately 2:50 p.m., onlookers notified the police of a body floating offshore in Lake Michigan from 5150 South Lake Shore Drive. Police concluded that the body was a deceased white woman. Area 1 Violent Crimes detectives and the Chicago Police Marine Unit investigated the scene, and they are continuing to investigate the case. The body has not been identified.

On Saturday, February 28 at 12:25 a.m., a male burglar entered the OscoDrug at 1420 East 53rd Street. University police officers were notified, and caught the burglar in the building and recovered several burglary tools. The offender, Jeremy Arl, 22, of the 7400 block South Shore Drive, has been charged with burglary.

—Tara Kadioglu