In Atlanta, women’s soccer delivers Emory’s first loss

The soccer team defeated 13th ranked Emory on their home turf this past weekend.

[img id=”78503″ align=”alignleft”]

On Saturday the Maroons won their second UAA game, taking down previously undefeated and tenth-ranked Emory 1–0.

In the 73rd minute, first-year Natalia Jovanovic scored the game’s only goal. After several shots on goal from other Maroons, Jovanovic put the ball in the back of the net off of the Emory goalie’s original save.

The Maroons had to defend their lead until the very last seconds of the game. With seconds left, third-year goalie Emma Gormley made an amazing game-winning save. The shutout was her fifth of the year.

“The chance that they had at the end was one of their best all game, but with less than ten seconds left there was no way I was going to let them score,” Gormley explained.

Coming into the game, the Maroons were prepared to beat Emory in the air. Coach Reifert told the team that whoever won the most first touches in the game would win, and the Maroons did just that. The Maroons’ crisp and aggressive play was too much for Emory.

“We played well at each position and connected well as a team to get several good chances,” Gormely said about the team’s play. “Breaking their undefeated streak made the win all the sweeter.”

Gormely’s standout performance garnered her an UAA Defender of the Week award and marked her fifth save of the season.

With this win, the Maroons are first place in the UAA. They return to action next Friday the 15th at the University of Rochester and on Sunday the 17th at Case Western Reserve University. Another weekend of wins will solidify the Maroons as a powerhouse in the UAA and on the national scene.