Kill Obscurity

Instead of spending another Valentine’s Day at home feeling sorry for yourself and falling asleep to a pint of Ben and Jerry’s and Laverne and Shirley reruns (as I usually do) why not go out and have a little fun? Remember, not having a significant other around to cramp your style on V-Day can be a good thing. This Friday go downtown and live up the single life with some other fellow free spirits.

#1: Who needs roses and chocolates when you can have beer! For the genuine anti-Valentine’s Day-ers head over to the plush but low-key Schoolyard Tavern and get free domestic drafts when, with pride, you declare to the bartender: “I am anti-Valentine’s Day.” But it doesn’t stop there, two-for-one appetizers from 6-9 p.m. and fun giveaways mean you could walk away with a T-shirt, gift certificate, or other bar merchandise. The dining room is open to all, but be warned only those 23 and older are admitted into the bar. Open 11 a.m.-3 a.m. on Friday you can find it at 3258 N. Southport Ave. just off W. Belmont (call 773-528-8226).

#2: What could sound more fun then Bacchus’s Anti-Valentine’s Day celebration! Get a friend to go with you (and we mean a no-sex-involved friend) and admission is free. Dance, drink and let loose at this three-story Lincoln Park nightclub. Enjoy anything from acid jazz to party music while making your way up from the Roman-themed first floor complete with marble bar and columns, to the third floor balcony. Bacchus is open from 6 p.m.-2 a.m. on Friday at 2242 N. Lincoln Ave (call 773-477-5238).

#3: For the non-bar enthusiasts, why not have some fun this Friday by making a fool of yourself. It’s time to have some fun and be a kid again! Bring a friend and get two-for-one skating sessions at the Rainbo Roller Rink. Wear something red and get in for only $1, otherwise admission is $4 from 4-6:30 p.m. and $5 from 6:30-10:30 p.m. With roller-skating and in-line skating Rainbo Roller Rink is at 4836 N. Clark (call 773-271-5668).

#4: I have only two words for you: Pajama and Party! Now this is the party that no one can skip out on because they didn’t know what to wear. Pull on your favorite PJs and head over to 172 W. Adams St. to be part of the World’s Largest Pajama Party. From 8-11 p.m. enjoy live music by Starcandy–an original five piece band, strut your stuff in a best dressed PJs contest, try the sexy featured drink: “dream”–a rose martini with edible flower petals floating in it and before the night comes to an end have what else but, some milk and cookies. Admission is $25, which includes two free drink tickets (call: 312-332-5909).

#5: For those poor, misguided singles that want to take a stab at romance there’s no better day to give it a try than Valentine’s Day. Head over to the Black Orchid at 230 W. North Ave. (call 312-944-2200) for “Single Hearts Night”–8 p.m.-midnight. At Chicago’s only singles ball you can listen to legendary singer Jimmy Damon while trying your hand at the Quick Dater Game. Participants first interview and rate each other and then, depending on their choices, can take the next step and head onto the dance floor. But don’t worry if Cupid doesn’t strike before the clock strikes twelve because after the party all contestants are notified via e-mail of possible love interests. For $30 you get an appetizer and dessert buffet and the chance to meet your true love. To find out more go to:

www.singleheartsnight.com.

–Rosaria Mannino & Bonnie