STD–10/7/11-10/13/2011

Friday 10/7

The Smart Museum of Art invites you to bring out your inner propagandist at its tongue-in-cheek Communist (Art) Party. Create original posters influenced by Soviet propaganda, mingle with Northwestern students, and eat free food. For inspiration, check out the Process and Artistry in the Soviet Vanguard and Vision and Communism exhibits, on view now until January 22. (5550 South Greenwood Avenue, 8-10:30 p.m., free)

Saturday 10/8

A used book sale will be held at the Hyde Park Shopping Center Courtyard October 8-10. Prices range from 50 cents to $5. Or, get in on the action beforehand. Drop your gently used books by America’s Most American Supermarket and add to their growing treasure trove of literature. (1500 East 55th St., Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Monday 9 a.m.-2 p.m.).

Sunday 10/9

If you’re running in the Chicago Marathon, you’ve probably already got the date and time down (along with months of training and the perfect pair of kicks). However, for those who wish only to watch casually from the sidelines, here’s what you need to know. It starts in Grant Park at 7:30 a.m. and could go an awfully long time. Also, if you’re not such a casual spectator but an obsessive one, you can track your favorite runners via text message updates. For far more information, visit chicagomarathon.com.

Monday 10/10

On Sunday, head over to the Chicago International Film Festival at AMC River East and take your pick from over 25 films, including one of the festival’s stars, David Cronenberg’s A Dangerous Method (to go along with your Sosc reading, of course). And if you don’t happen to get a seat for Cronenberg (you won’t), check out Sabu’s Bunny Drop or Mohamed Diab’s Cairo 678. (322 East Illinois Street, $13)

Tuesday 10/11

It’s happening (again). Mansueto gets consecrated anew at next week’s Dedication at Harper Memorial Library. The keynote speaker is Princeton history professor Anthony Grafton, with remarks by Robert J. Zimmer and other administrators to follow. (1116 East 59th Street, 4 p.m., free)

Wednesday 10/12

For those who believe in vino vero, Osteria Via Stato has got 20 truths for you at a very reasonable price. The Italian restaurant is offering a 20 for $20 wine tasting, which also includes a sampling of Chef David DiGregorio’s past appetizers. (620 North State Street, 6-8 p.m., $20, call 312-643-8450 for reservations)

Thursday 10/13

As part of the Graham School’s lecture series, “Conversations: Reflections on the Soviet Experience,” Professor John J. Mearsheimer will be speaking at the Gleacher Center on the legacy of the Soviet Union and the Cold War. Don’t miss out on the nostalgia! (450 North Cityfront Plaza Drive, 6-7:30 p.m., free with valid U of C ID).