Connect slate wins SG elections, benefits from graduate student votes

Connect slate, with second-year law student Renard Miller as President-elect, beat out ChicagoSpirit and Delta Upsilon’s satiric slate the Moose Party.

With 1200 votes, Connect triumphed at the SG elections, defeating nearest competitor Chicago Spirit to become the 2012–2013 SG executive slate. Moose Party came in third.

ORCSA also announced that second-year Rohan Manthani and second-year Grace Park will be the next undergraduate liaisons to the Board of Trustees and Community and Government Liaison respectively. Second-year graduate student Kathryn Hagerman was voted Graduate Liaison to the Board of Trustees.

They also announced the eleven winners of the College Council race.

2627 students voted in this year’s elections—1824 undergraduates and 803 graduates, surpassing last year, when 2354 total votes were cast.

Connect is composed of second year law student Renard Miller, President-elect, first year Yusef al-Jarani, VP for Student Affairs, and third year Douglas Everson, VP for Administration. The slate hopes to increase funding options for RSOs and improve connections between undergraduate and graduate students. It also wants to enhance SG transparency, proposing a webpage where SG members will update the student body on various SG projects and an online survey for students to provide feedback and suggestions.

—Additional reporting by Lina Li