Maroons split conference road matches with Spartans, Yellow Jackets

The Maroons scored a late-game goal to clinch a 0–1 win over Case on Friday, but were battered by three consecutive goals to lose 4–1 to Rochester on Sunday.

By Amos Gewirtz

This weekend’s results proved mixed for Chicago. The Maroons traveled to Case Western on Friday, scoring a late-game goal to clinch a 0–1 win, and to Rochester on Sunday, where they were battered by three consecutive goals to lose 4–1.

Friday’s game was a story of attrition, the two teams fighting neck and neck until the 77th minute, when a clinical finish by third-year defender Terrell White secured the win. A strong performance by first-year goalie David Cohen, as well as a sound defense also helped propel the Maroons to victory.

Chicago outshot Case Western 5–2, and took the only corner kick of the half. An uninspired first half performance by the Spartans and the Maroons, with only one on-target shot, resulted in a goalless draw at the end of the first 45 minutes.

During the second half, Chicago zeroed in on its host, delivering a melee of seven shots, three of which were on target. At 77:13, the Spartans conceded a goal after a brief scrum, with White putting the ball in the back of the net. The Chicago defense held on tightly for the remaining 13 minutes to secure a 1–0 win.

“We really just laid on the pressure,” said White, the lone scorer in the match. “We were going to get a goal sooner or later. It was just a matter time.”

The game was relatively clean, with five fouls and no cards given to either side. The match upped Chicago’s conference record to 2–2–1, and dug the Spartans deeper in the standings with a record of 0–0–5.

The outcome of Sunday’s game was not nearly as rosy for the Maroons. With Rochester scoring two goals in both the first and second half and Chicago scoring only one throughout the whole game, the Maroons were crushed under the weight of four goals to lose in a devastating 4–1 defeat.

The first goal was tapped into the bottom left hand corner of the net from eight yards out by midfielder Max Fan in the 23rd minute. Second-year forward Kyle Kurfirst, heading in a deflected ball from the crossbar, tied the game up for Chicago just one minute later. The home team retook the lead in the 34th minute with a shot to the top right corner by Shane Dobles, ending the half with a one-goal advantage for the Yellow Jackets.

Rochester stepped up its offensive pressure in the second half, resulting in two additional goals. Jeffrey Fafinski slid in the first goal in the 72nd minute after a defensive error led to a mishandled pass. The Maroons quickly succumbed to the increasing deficit, with three yellow cards awarded and second-year midfielder Nick Codispoti sent off.

“Both teams started throwing late tackles,” White said. “The whole thing became a chippy affair. The ref totally lost control.”

The second and final goal of the game was scored from a penalty kick in the 84th minute.

Their performance on Sunday dropped the Maroons’ record to 8–4–4 overall, and 2–3–1 in the UAA.