Trustee luncheon provides forum for students

Although the topics of the lunch were not open to reporters, students were able to connect with a U of C Board of Trustees.

University Board of Trustee and Chair of the University Board’s Campus and Student Life Committee Sekhar Bahadur (A.B. ’81, M.B.A.’83) spoke with students regarding everything from sustainability to child care to undocumented students last Friday.

This was Bahadur’s first time heading one of these quarterly trustee luncheons.

“We asked [Bahadur] to do this because he had expressed interest and was perfect for this. We have around 50 trustees so not all of them have had the opportunity for such an event,” third-year Rohan Manthani, undergraduate liaison to the Board of Trustees, said.

Attendees ranged from first-years to graduate students.

“Overall, I was very impressed with how keenly aware [Bahadur] was toward most of the topics presented today. It was good to get a sense of where the Board of Trustees feels the University is at now and their ideas about moving forward,” second-year Greg Barancik said.

While based in London, Bahadur has deep roots in the University community having graduated from the Lab School in 1977, the college, and the business school and is currently the Retired Vice Chairman of Global Banking at Deutsche Bank.

The event was sponsored by the Office of Campus and Student Life and the Office of the Secretary.