Tiffany Robinson tourney yields 1-1 result

Chicago volleyball split matches at North Central

Sometimes momentum isn’t meant to last.

The No. 25 Maroons had a subpar tournament at the Tiffany Robinson Memorial Tournament this past Friday at North Central College in Naperville, IL. The team finished the weekend 1–1, bringing the season record to 19–8.

The first match against St. Mary’s (Minn.) started out as a very even match. The first set saw 10–10 and 22–22 ties but ended with three straight kills to leading to a 25–22 finish for St. Mary’s. The second set went better for Chicago, as it took a 9–5 lead, but the set quickly came out as a tie at 20–20 and ended with a 25–23 loss for the Maroons.  The third and fourth sets weren’t as close, as St. Mary’s won 25–13 and 25–18, respectively.

In the second match, the downtrodden Maroons swept Wartburg. From the beginning of the first set, the South Siders played well, winning seven out of the first eight points. The Knights tied the score at 13–13, and Chicago answered with five straight points to go up 21–17, finishing the match with a 25–20 win. The second set saw many more ups, downs, and ties, but still ended with a 25–23 victory for the Maroons. The third and final set featured fourth-year, outside hitter Morgan Barry, who capped the set with three straight aces, finishing 25–16.

The Maroons seemed happy with the impressive win against Wartburg following the loss to Saint Mary’s but still voiced their disappointment on leaving with only the single win.

“We went into the Tiffany Robinson Memorial Tournament looking for two good regional wins,” said third-year outside hitter Jasmine Mobley.

Despite the split score, Mobley still displayed the team’s overall positive attitude.

“When a team has a loss, you really just have to learn from it and move on to the next one,” Mobley said.

The team hopes that this past weekend’s tournament will just continue to stand as a learning experience and pinpoint which strengths and weakness it needs to work on for the approaching UAA Round Robin #2.

“This week we will go into practice ready to focus our energy and efforts towards four big conference wins in UAA Round Robin #2,” Mobley said. “It’s very simple—we will train like champions, and ultimately that is what will allow us to be successful this weekend.”

Chicago’s focus will be on strategy and play on the court—enthusiasm will not be a problem.

“I am really excited going into our UAA Round Robin #2 coming up this weekend,” Mobley said. “Conference competition is such an exciting time!”

The home UAA Round Robin #2 tournament next weekend will feature a full slate for the Maroons, who will face off against Carnegie Mellon and Case Western on Saturday and Rochester and Emory on Sunday. The first game begins at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday in Ratner Athletics Center.