U. of C. prof. awarded for Your Inner Fish

University of Chicago professor Neil Shubin, along with associates David Dugan and Michael Rosenfeld, have been awarded the Kavli Science Journalism Award for their PBS series Your Inner Fish.

The three-part series, which explores the evolution of humans and their ancestors, premiered in April 2014. It was based on Shubin’s 2008 book, Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body.

The Kavli Award is given by the American Association for the Advancement of Science. According to the organization’s website, the Science Journalism Award recognizes “outstanding reporting for a general audience and honor individuals (rather than institutions, publishers or employers) for their coverage of the sciences, engineering and mathematics.” Shubin, Dugan, and Rosenfeld will accept the $3,000 award at the AAAS Annual Meeting in February 2015.

Shubin enjoyed the opportunity to narrate the series. “I spent two years filming, from Ethiopia to the Arctic, and had little idea what the show will turn out to be,” he said in an email. “It was a thrill seeing it for the first time, music and all.”