University announces Diversity Council

Provost Isaac in an email says new council to accompany climate survey.

University President Robert Zimmer and Provost Eric D. Isaacs outlined specifics for an upcoming campus climate discussion and a new Diversity Advisory Council in an e-mail to faculty, staff, and students on Wednesday.

The announcement came a month after Isaacs and Zimmer announced new inclusion efforts, including the creation of the council, and just a few days after they published a statement regarding free expression.

Associate Professor of American History Adam Green will chair the Diversity Advisory Council. Four students—from the College, graduate, and professional schools—will be selected for council positions following an application process. Zimmer and Isaacs will make the final appointments.

The council’s goals are to make recommendations on University programming, to address the concerns of underrepresented students, and to promote general inclusiveness and equality, according to the application website. Meetings are expected to begin in early February.

The campus climate discussion will take place on Thursday, January 22 and will be limited to 150 students. Isaacs, Director of OMSA and Associate Dean of Students Karlene Burrell-McRae will host the discussion.

The announcement did not contain specifics on the two campus climate assessments, one of which will examine sexual assault and misconduct and one of which will examine diversity, inclusion, and underrepresented groups.