In break from Reg-ular study grind, the Reg offers day of fun and workshops

The Joseph Regenstein Library, affectionately called the Reg, is hosting its inaugural installment of RegFest, an annual celebration of the nexus of social life at the University of Chicago. Given the somewhat unsurprising popularity of the Reg’s Valentine’s Day events in previous years, the library has decided to launch RegFest in conjunction with the Academic and Scholarly Technology Services division of IT Services on campus– the organization that runs the TECHB@R at the Reg. Hosted today, on the alleged College Break Day, RegFest will be comprised of a series of half-hour programs. Some activities serve to aid students in their personal and professional development, while a good number highlight lesser-known collections and services available to students. One session at 10:30 a.m. encourages students to trace their family’s history using the Library’s resources, while another at 3:30 p.m. at the Special Collections Research Center will exhibit a curated selection of Ezra Pound’s letters, revealing the sardonic wit of a great writer.

Perhaps the icing on the cake is the event entitled ‘Bad Romance: Make Your Own UChicago-Themed Valentine’s Day Cards,’ conducted at noon. Using images of the University taken from the University archives, participants can customize their own Valentine’s Day cards, since their relationship with this institution is undoubtedly an apt metaphor of their love and affection for their better halves. And if this does not sound tempting enough, samosas will also be available to participants of this event. Apart from these exciting activities, participants of RegFest have a chance to enter a drawing for Amazon gift cards at the closing ceremony. Chances of winning increase with every RegFest program attended. While participants are not required to attend the closing ceremony, snacks will be provided.

If you are too busy to attend these sessions, be sure to at least partake in the photo opportunities that the Reg will be offering. At the TECHB@R, there will be a photo booth to give everyone the opportunity to take a photo with the friendly robots from the Joe and Rika Mansueto Library. Outside, students will have the unparalleled opportunity of taking a photo with a life-size cut-out of a former president of the University of Chicago, Robert Maynard Hutchins.

Given the high traffic of students at the Reg on such days off as College Break Day, RegFest promises to be the most well attended event all quarter. Be sure to be at the Reg for, as always, a fruitful and enjoyable time.

Friday, February 13, The Joseph Regenstein Library, TECHB@R (Regenstein Room 160), 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., registration recommended.