Postseason dreams on the line this weekend

Coming off a rollercoaster weekend, where the Maroons split a pair of conference games, the team will wrap up its season against a No. 18 conference rival Wash U in St. Louis on Saturday. Chicago enters its final match of the year with an overall record of 10–5–2, while Wash U boasts a record of 11–3–3. The South Siders are ready to face-off in a tough matchup for the season finale.

This past weekend, the Maroons battled hard against conference opponents Case Western and Carnegie Mellon. The squad was able to pull off the 1–0 against Case, however they were on the other side of a 1–0 outcome with a loss to Carnegie. After the emotional weekend, Chicago will have to have a short memory and focus on the task at hand.

Second-year goalkeeper Hill Bonin has been steady in net for the Maroons all season. He has posted 58 saves and has a record of 9–5–2 on the year. He is not worried about the team’s tough weekend coming into play in St. Louis this weekend. “Spirits are better than ever,” Bonin said.

Yet it will take more than good spirits to take down this year’s Wash U squad. The Bears are currently ranked 18th in the nation and first in the central region. This will be a big test for the Maroons, who have yet to beat a ranked foe this year.

While Chicago clearly wants to end the season on a positive note, there is even more on the line this weekend for the South Siders. Beating a team that is as highly ranked as Wash U would give the team a solid chance to make the NCAA Division III Tournament. Currently, the Maroons are right on the bubble to get into the tournament and beating the best team in the central region would certainly improve their chances.

The team realizes that everything is on the line this week and is ready to play like there is no tomorrow because there may not be one. “We are looking forward to this one. Of course it would be nice to finish with a win but, at this point, all anyone cares about is a bid to the tournament. That’s the goal,” Bonin said.

Also, with the regular season coming to a close, the Maroons will have Senior Day on Saturday to honor their fourth-years in their last regular season home game. The four fourth-years—Jorge Bilbao, David Cohen, Peter Boxley, and Parker Tikson,—will be recognized for their outstanding commitment and contributions to the team. Bonin is sure that the team will be extra motivated. “They’re coming here for Senior Day and will be facing a team ready to fight for a postseason berth,” he said.

The South Siders are looking forward to ending the season with a bang. They kick off against Wash U at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday on Stagg Field. This is the Maroons last regular season game, however there is a chance that they will play in the postseason.