the Sketch: arts, briefly

As part of the 20th Anniversary Series at the Center for the Study of Gender and Sexuality, there will be a screening of the documentary Regarding Susan Sontag, followed by a discussion with Associate Professor Deborah L. Nelson of the English department. The documentary follows the life of the provocative thinker, University of Chicago alum, and passionate feminist.   

November 18, Regenstein Library 122, Tickets are free.

This weekend the Hyde Park community is coming together to sell, buy, trade, and drink hot cider at the inaugural 57th Street Community Flea Market. Items on sale will vary from antiques to designer clothing. If you are looking for a community event and/or a unique gift for yourself or a loved one, check this out.

1448 East 57th Street, Saturday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Presale tickets have already sold out for this evening’s “Diwali 2015: The Festival of Lights,” an annual event presented by the South Asian Students Association (SASA) to celebrate the biggest Hindu holiday of the year. Diwali, a four-day holiday, began this past Wednesday and offers participants a time to reflect on new beginnings and the triumph of good over evil.

Tonight’s program begins at 5 p.m. in Rockefeller with a traditional Puja ceremony, sponsored by Hindu Student Sangam and the Office of Spiritual Life. This offering is free and open to the public. Festivities continue at 7 p.m. in Hutch, where you can enjoy an Indian dinner from Upudi Palace and performances by RSOs like Chicago Aag, UChicago Bhangra (UCB), Chicago Raas, the UChicago South Asia Music Ensemble, and Aspara.

Close the night by shining some light of your own with a group sparkler ceremony. Students of all faiths are welcome.

Tickets for the 7 p.m. program are eight dollars at the door.