STD – 11/19/04

Friday, November 19

You saw Tokyo Godfathers last year, but now you can see it for “free,” with Asian snacks, while giving to charity. (6:30 p.m., small donation suggested, Harper 130)

Check out the fantastic Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, showing tonight at Doc. The cinematography is beyond compare, especially when Kumar is served coffee by—what else?—a huge bag of pot. After viewing the film for the first time, I was more than inspired to make the same perilous journey for a sack of ten (okay, so I actually got fish sandwiches). Go forth and do the same. (7, 9, 11 p.m., $4, Max Palevsky Cinema)

Head to the Museum of Contemporary Art this evening to catch D.J. Spooky remixing, controversially enough, D.W. Griffith’s Birth of a Nation, in this program called Rebirth of a Nation. A discussion with the artist follows. (7:30 p.m. through Sunday, $18–22, 220 East Chicago Avenue)

Industrial group Skinny Puppy is playing at the Congress Theatre. (8 p.m., $25, 2135 North Milwaukee Avenue)

Saturday, November 20

Put on lots of eyeliner and electrical tape for His Infernal Majesty, a.k.a. H.I.M.—the goth band is playing at the Riviera tonight. Monster Magnet and Auf Der Mar open. (7 p.m., $25, 4746 North Racine Street)

The University Chamber Orchestra—smaller and more adorable than the bombastic Symphony—puts on Pelleas and Melisande: From Love to Jealousy to Redemption. Ah, story of our lives. Anyway, the program features two approaches to the famous love triangle: Faure’s Suite (from his opera of the story) and Sibelius’ Opus 46. (8 p.m., free, Fulton Recital Hall)

Sistafriends presents Poetry in Motion, a myriad of dance, song, and spoken word featuring Khari B. Poetree, Soul Umoja, and Royale. (8 p.m., Ida Noyes Cloister Club)

Sunday, November 21

Loud noises abound at Sonic Spectacular V. The Millar Brass Ensemble and Thomas Weisflog play music written for brass and organ. (3 p.m., $8, Rockefeller Memorial Chapel)

Curious about Christian rock? Head downtown to the Gene Siskel film center for a screening of Why Should the Devil Have All the Good Music? This documentary explores the different subgenres of Christian rock—and suggests that there is more to Christian rock than the Jesus stuff you hear out in Wyoming. (3 and 5 p.m., $9, 37 South Wabash Avenue)

The New Music Ensemble plays music so new that the ink is still drying. (4 p.m., free, Fulton Recital Hall)

The Los Angeles Guitar Quartet takes over Mandel Hall. Expect Lizst’s Hungarian Rhasody No. 2, but don’t be surprised if you hear everything from classical to flamenco, world music to bluegrass. (7:30 p.m., $15, Mandel Hall)

Monday, November 22

With his traveling exhibit, The Apostles, Swedish artist Michel Ostlund is trying to invoke in the viewer the same mystical feeling he had at his daughter’s candlelit confirmation. He does this with suspended paintings, lighting, choir, and orchestra. Ostlund will introduce his exhibit, which is accompanied by the Hyde Park Chamber Players and guitarist Lawrence Kbitowski. (4 p.m., free, Rockefeller Memorial Chapel)

As part of their Deceleration series, Chicagoan experimental blues-rock band Califone is creating live soundtracks to films like Charlie Chaplin’s A Night Out every Monday night for the month of November. We can’t make any promises about exactly what they will be playing—or what film they’ll be using—but it is bound to be interesting. (9:30 p.m., $10, Rodan, 1530 North Milwaukee Avenue)

Tuesday, November 23

If you’re not cooped up in class all day, head over to the Zygman/Voss Gallery and view woodcuttings and rare etchings from a private collection of surrealist artist Salvador Dali’s works. (10 a.m.-5 p.m., free, 22 West Superior Street, #1E)

Psych grad student and pianist Alice Sheu plays Bach, Beethoven, and Debussy for the Noontime Concert Series. (12:15 p.m., free, Fulton Recital Hall)

Alicia Keys will be signing copies of her book Tears for Water: Songbook of Poems and Lyrics at the Michigan Avenue Borders. (1 p.m., free, 830 North Michigan Avenue)

The latkes and hamentashen of the world will duke it out at the 58th Annual Latke-Hamentash Debate. The lineup: Near Eastern Languages & Civilizations prof Brinker, Physics prof Geroch, musicology prof Gosset, SSA prof Pollack, and philosophy prof Cohen, versus a stack of unwitting traditional Jewish snacks. Who will win? (7:30 p.m., $5 at the door, Mandel Hall)

Jeries Basir, master ‘ud and violin player, is the featured guest artist of the Middle East Music Ensemble’s Mashaweer concert. (8 p.m., free, Fulton Recital Hall)

Wednesday, November 24

The Hideout is still one of those hidden gems (despite the fact that people always write about it). Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it’s this tiny wooden structure amidst huge warehouses. Discover the magic of the Hideout with a friend, a pint, and one of the big fishes on the wall. Tonight, come see Chicago blues artist Nicholas Tremulis, whose vocals have been likened to those of Tom Waits. (6:30 p.m., 21+, $5, 1354 West Wabansia)

Thursday, November 25

Check out the Thanksgiving State Street Parade, on TV or in person. (8:30 a.m., State Street and Congress Avenue)

Run off your turkey with a bunch of yuppies in Lincoln Park. The 27th annual Goose Island Turkey Trot includes a 9K run and walk. Plus you get free Goose Island beer! You can register online or at the race. (9 a.m., $20-25. http://www.caprievents.com/turkey/welcome.htm)

The Arcade Fire’s live show caused a bidding war among independent labels earlier this year. Now that the Montreal band has released Funeral on Merge to much acclaim, it’s your turn to see if you agree with fan David Byrne that they really are the “Next Big Thing.” They are playing at the Logan Square Auditorium. (9 p.m., $10, 2539 North Kedzie Boulevard)