South Siders Take on Cross Town Opponent UIC

While swim and dive are often mentioned in the same breath, the men’s and women’s diving teams head to UIC on their own to participate in the Diving Invitational. The Maroons also swept the UAA Divers of the Week last week.

The Maroons are traveling to University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) to compete in a tough meet against DI teams. This will be the last competitive meet for the South Siders before conference and national competition. 

In the DePauw tri-meet, which took place two weeks ago, the dive team garnered two NBAA B-cut scores. Two three-meter dive wins were the weekend’s spotlight.  Chicago is excited for this competitive weekend’s opportunities, which will influence the team’s post season preparation. 

Currently, UIC diving has had multiple divers from the men’s and women’s teams whose post-NCAA provisional scores have qualified them for the NCAA Zones. This meet is UIC’s last opportunity to qualify for the national championship.

Second-year Natalie DeMuro, who won the one-meter dive in the tri-meet that UChicago hosted the first weekend of this quarter, posted a NCAA provisional score and officially qualified for the NCAA Zones. DeMuro stated that this weekend is important for the rest of the season and holds a lot of opportunity. 

“There will be some good competition at this meet, but we’re confident in our preparation and know that we can hold our own. With two weeks until conference, this meet is our last opportunity to practice our dives in a competitive environment. Each of us has a couple of higher degree of difficulty dives that we’re hoping to make conference-ready. The invite this weekend will help us to see where we’re at with those dives and decide which ones to compete at UAAs and Zones.” 

This high pressure weekend is UChicago divers’ last opportunity to qualify for NCAA competition and fine tune their dives for UAA championships.

The meet will be at UIC on Saturday.