the Sketch

Chicago’s South Side and the Prison + Neighborhood Arts Project

The Prison and Neighborhood Arts Project (PNAP), a Chicago organization that provides art classes, workshops, and guest lectures to people at the Stateville Maximum Security Prison, is hosting a talk at the Seminary Co-Op. The panelists are Audrey Petty, Kai Parker, Lasana Kazembe, and Sarah Ross. March 7, 4:30 p.m., The Seminary Co-Op. Admission is free.

Chamber Music Showcase

Student chamber groups coached by Amy Briggs and members of the Spektral Quartet (UChicago Music Department Ensemble-In-Residence) will show off their work in an intimate recital. March 10, 7 p.m. Fulton Recital Hall. Free admission.

UT/TAPS Present The Seagull

University Theater, UChicago’s resident student theater organization, combines with the Theater and Performance Studies program to put on a production of Anton Chekhov’s seminal 1895 play. March 10 to March 12, 7:30 p.m.; Matinee on March 12, 2 p.m. Tickets are six dollars in advance at arts.uchicago.edu/uttaps-present-seagull and eight dollars at the door. Logan Center, Theater West 115.

University Jazz X-tet

The University Jazz X-tet, a student performance group directed by Mwata Bowden, puts on its winter quarter show. The concert will feature commissioned compositions and lots of improvisation, and the incorporation of at least one genre other than jazz. March 10, 8 p.m., Admission is free. Logan Center, Performance Hall.

A Night with Filmmaker Tom Palazzolo

For over 50 years, experimental filmmaker Tom Palazzolo has been documenting Chicago’s most colorful denizens. The University will host a public screening of five Palazzolo shorts: Jerry’s Deli, Tattooed Lady of Riverview Park, Down Clark St., O’ Me on LSD, and Love it or Leave It. A public discussion with the director follows. March 11, 7 p.m. Logan Center for the Arts, Screening Room 201. Free admission.

Gilbert & Sullivan Opera Company Presents

Princess Ida

The Gilbert and Sullivan Opera Company brings a modern adaptation of the pair’s classic opera, Princess Ida, to Mandel Hall. The production is directed by Shane Valenzi, and the music will be performed by the University Chamber Orchestra, led by Matthew Sheppard. March 11 and 12, 7:30 p.m.; March 13, 2 p.m. Mandel Hall. Tickets are available at through arts.uchicago.edu, and range from $5 to $60.

Spotlight at Doc Films

Based on a true story, Spotlight follows a team of Boston Globe journalists tasked to investigate sexual abuse allegations lobbed against the Catholic Church. Their exposé unveiled the Boston Archdiocese’s massive cover-up, sparking subsequent investigations in archdioceses across the country. Spotlight’s real-life journalists won a Pulitzer Prize in 2003 for their coverage; the film itself went on to win both Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay at the 2016 Academy Awards. March 12, with showings at 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Max Palevsky Cinema at Ida Noyes Hall. five dollar general admission, free with quarterly pass.

Eastern European Folk Festival

Did you know that UChicago hosts one of the largest Eastern European folk festivals in the U.S.? For one weekend only, enthusiasts from all over the country will convene at International House to celebrate folk art and culture from Eastern Europe and the Balkans. The schedule of events is as follows:

Friday, March 18, 8 p.m.–midnight: Folklore workshops followed by a dance party with James Stoyanoff and the Orchestra Balkana. $20 per attendee.

Saturday, March 19, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.: Dance, music and singing workshops. $12 per workshop.

Saturday, March 19, 7 p.m.–midnight: Concert and dance party featuring a range of guest artists. $20 for party only, $30 for concert and party. Dinner will be served for $30 at Salonica Restaurant, 1440 East 57th Street Reservations required; limited seating.

Sunday, March 20, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.: Dance workshops. $12 per workshop.

Sunday, March 20, after 6 p.m.: Dinner and dance party with live music, location TBA. $40 per attendee.