the Sketch

Arts, briefly.

The Beckman 5 at Hallowed Grounds

The Beckman 5, a five-piece jazz group featuring drummer Paul Beckman, bassist Collin D’Aloisio, trumpet player Mike Galperin, keyboard player Joshua Turner, and singer Ana Paz, will be performing original songs, jazz, and funky hip-hop music at Hallowed Grounds next Wednesday. Come grab a cup of coffee before you turn up at bar night.   

Wednesday, June 1, 9 p.m., Hallowed Grounds, free.

Uncommon Nights: Say Cheese!

You know what’s funny? No, we’re not talking about how screwed you are for finals. We’re talking about this week’s Uncommon Night, which spotlights “cheesy jokes and even cheesier food.” Stop by to enjoy queso-crammed fare, a raunchy round or two of Cards Against Humanity, and performances by UChicago Humor Mag, Off-Campus, and student comedians.

Wednesday, June 1, 10 p.m.–midnight, Hutchinson Courtyard, free.

OneCampus Cook-Off

OneCampus, an RSO which brings together students and non-academic staff for events throughout the year, hosts its first-ever cooking competition. Inspired by the high-octane game show Chopped, the cook-off pits six two-person teams—each of which pairs a student with a staff member—against each other. With only a variety of random ingredients and 90 minutes at their disposal, contestants will try to wow three “celebrity” judges: Dean John “Jay” Ellison, Bartlett staff member Derrick Barber, and professor Larry McEnerney, director of the Writing Program. The competition will be followed by a reception.

Thursday, June 2, 11 a.m.–2 p.m., International House Kitchen, free.

University Jazz X-tet: Dee Alexander

For its last concert of the year, UChicago’s premier student jazz ensemble unites with acclaimed Chicago-based vocalist and composer Dee Alexander for a night of new music. As a special treat, Director of Jazz Ensembles Mwata Bowden will unveil two brand-new compositions written for the occasion: “The Poznan Experiment” and “The Four Leaf Clover.” After getting your swing on, be sure to stick around for the free reception.

Thursday, June 2, 8 p.m., Performance Hall, Logan Center for the Arts, free.

Occam’s Razor: The Lazy Shit’s Show

Feeling too lazy to study for finals and looking for a chance to LOL instead of think FML? Go watch “The Lazy Shit’s Show” (relatable?) instead, the last performance of the year by Occam’s Razor, UChicago’s independent improv comedy group.

Friday, June 3, 8 p.m., FXK Theatre, free.

University of Chicago Symphony Orchestra: 40th Anniversary Tribute to Barbara Schubert

The USO celebrates Barbara Schubert’s 40th anniversary as music director with a special Alumni Weekend concert. The diverse program kicks off with Shostakovich’s Festive Overture and includes the world premiere of “Catálogo Fantástico,” a new work by Ricardo Lorenz (Ph.D. ’99) which was inspired by the University’s course catalog. The University Chorus and Motet Choir join the orchestra for Ravel’s lush Suite No. 2 from his ballet Daphnis et Chloé. The concert coincides with an exhibition on the fourth floor of Goodspeed Hall celebrating Schubert’s tenure, complete with recordings, photos, and posters.

Friday, June 3, 8 p.m. and Saturday, June 4 at 4 p.m., free, but with a suggested donation of $10 general / $5 students at the door.

Fire Escape Films 20th Anniversary and Spring Screening

Escape the oncoming summer swelter with Fire Escape Films (FEF). Take refuge in Logan and hear four FEF alumni talk about their burgeoning careers in film, then head back the next day for a “best of” of productions from the past 20 years. Following that will be this quarter’s screening of nine short films and one music video from amateur student filmmakers. If the prospect of padded seats and air conditioning doesn’t make you come running, free snacks will also be provided.

Friday, June 3, 5 p.m., Third Floor Terrace Logan Center; Saturday, June 4, 2 p.m., Logan Center room 201; Saturday, June 4, 4:30 p.m., Max Palevsky Cinema, Ida Noyes Hall, free.

The Book of Your Life: An Adult Memoir Writing Workshop

Low-key think you should be famous? Have you ever watched Keeping Up With the Kardashians or Geordie Shore and thought to yourself, “Hey, I too can go to parties and consume an alarming amount of alcohol?” Attend the Adult Memoir Writing Workshop at Logan and figure out how to best turn your life into a Hollywood script. Or a Henry Kissinger-esque autobiography. Whichever.

June 7, 5:30 p.m., Logan (Room TBD), $10 admission.