Senior Day Swim Ends in Win

Ten fourth-years were honored this Saturday when the swim and dive squads took on Calvin and DePaul. Both the men’s and women’s sides of the team dominated and came away with a pair of wins.
A female diver is caught mid-flight.

Last Saturday, Chicago continued its hot streak and dominated at home against Calvin and DePauw in their senior meet. The Maroon women defeated DePauw 231–64 and took down Calvin 225–75. The men similarly crushed their competition, winning against DePauw 193–87 and Calvin 205–89.

Further, both teams celebrated their 10-person fourth-year class, comprising Abby Erdmann, Cara LoPiano, Jessie Ho, Emily Hunt, Alison Wall, Maya Scheidl, Megan Wall, Kevin Ku, Rolland Lee, and Jonathan Simoneau. These 10 fourth-years are remarkably accomplished, owning 19 school records amongst them.

Although the competition wasn’t as good as teams they have faced in the past, this meet was very emotional for the seniors as they remembered all the incredible things they have experienced over their four years. Ku, reflecting on his favorite memory from his time on the team, recalled a get-out swim—the final task of the practice—that the team did his first year. The whole team had to hold hands and swim 25 yards without breathing, which they did successfully. “It was a lot of fun and was incredibly symbolic of us rising or falling as a team,” he said. 

Scheidl, too, couldn’t help but reminisce. “This weekend was a little surreal, because I remember watching the fourth-years get announced and walk down the bulkhead my first year and it was weird to finally be doing it as a fourth-year,” she said. “I was so proud of the entire senior class this weekend because we all performed really well, and showed that we are still a powerful class scoring points for the team.”

The fourth-years delivered in their final meet, winning 10 of the team’s 23 total events won. Scheidl went 4–0, winning the 50-yard freestyle, 100-yard freestyle, the 200-yard medley relay and the 200-yard freestyle relay with times of 24.37, 53.00, 1:47.64, and 1:38.11, respectively. Ku also was undefeated Saturday, winning the 100-yard butterfly in 52.51, the 200-yard butterfly in 1:54.72, and the 200-yard IM in 1:58.31. Finally, Erdmann won the 100-yard butterfly, 200-yard butterfly and was part of the 200-yard medley relay with times of 58.34, 2:09.38, and 1:47.64, respectively.

On the men’s side, first-years showed their speed as well. Byrne Litschgi won the 200-yard backstroke in 1:56.89 and swam a leg on the first place 200-yard medley relay and the 200-yard freestyle relay. For the women, Reona Yamaguchi won 100-yard breaststroke in 57.74, 200-yard breaststroke in 2:09.02, and the 200-yard medley relay.

Additionally, the divers had a great meet, with third-year Dean Boures winning the one-meter dive with a score of 256.20 and second-year Anna Girlich taking second, setting a new personal best and achieving an NCAA provisional score at 268.55 points.

Looking ahead to UAAs, Ku believes wholeheartedly in the success of this Chicago squad. “We just have to continue to push each other in practice and work on the small things, such as turns and breath control, to fine tune our swimming,” he said. The Maroons next take the pool for the UAA Championships at home on February 8.