Maroons Rally to Beat Carroll, Secure Conference No. 2 Seed

Women’s Lacrosse ends their regular season with a close victory against Carroll University (13-12).

Down a point in the last three minutes of their conference game against Carroll University, the UChicago lacrosse team bounced back and scored twice. They ended the game with a score of 13–12, taking the win. This was a close game. Despite the terrible weather, first-year midfielder Karina Schulze displayed an impressive performance, scoring four goals and making four assists. First-year midfielder Ali Sheehy came through and scored three times, including the winning goal. Third-year goalkeeper Honor Crandell made three saves. The Maroons showed tremendous teamwork as they picked up yet another victory.

The first shot was made by first-year attacker Lally Johnson less than a minute after the game started, but went wide. Not long after, Schulze scored the first goal for the Maroons with an unassisted strike 77 seconds into the game, putting pressure on the other team. She then assisted another successful goal made by Sheehy. Carroll did not back down as they quickly tied the score. The teams went back and forth, but Carroll took the lead with 10 minutes left in the first half. The Maroons fought back as Sheehy made a shot and first-year Audrey Kaus followed with two consecutive goals, putting the Maroons back in the lead and ending the first half with 7–5.

In the second half, the Maroons once again took control as Johnson scored the first goal unassisted, maintaining the lead. Carroll quickly responded, catching up to the Maroons and reducing the deficit. Crandell was able to make two saves, slowing down Carroll. The match bounced back and forth as one team scored one after another, tying the game at 11–11 with less than seven minutes left. In the last four minutes of the game, Carroll kept its momentum rolling and recaptured the lead at 12–11. 

The Maroons were left with three minutes to take back their win. Kaus was able to bring back the momentum by scoring a goal assisted by Schulze, tying the game once again at 12–12. With only two minutes left in the game, both teams fought hard for the win, strengthening both their offense and defense. With one minute and 45 seconds left, Sheehy came through with the winning goal assisted by Schulze. Carroll attempted to attack again and gained possession in the last few seconds, but they did not have a chance to take a shot. The Maroons secured their win.

The Maroons had the statistical advantage: 31–19 in shots, 18–10 in draw controls, 31–28 in ground balls, and 23–24 in turnovers. Schulze recounts, “The game was tough because of the

snow and rain, but we were able to finish on our shots and win the 50/50 battles. Playing in that type of weather always makes the game more intense, and our team was able to rise up to the challenge.”

The Maroons gained their victory with a close call, ending the game with 13–12 and improving their record to 14–2 after winning another game against Carthage on Saturday, April 27. They hope to maintain the winning streak as they play North Central at home on Wednesday, May 1, in the College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin tournament.