Voices STD (Stuff to Do)—April 27, 2007

Friday/ April 27

The Don Imus scandal has inevitably led some to question the portrayal of sexuality and race in hip-hop. The recent controversy adds extra relevance to Hip-Hop: Beats and Rhymes, an hour-long documentary screening at Doc. The special event will feature a panel discussion with professors and authors from the University and Columbia College about the effects of rap lyrics, in an honest, open manner. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 7 p.m., $5)

Some of the giants of Chicago alternative rock headline an all-star performance Friday, featuring some of the best rock bands Chicago has to offer. Naked Raygun, a pioneer of melodic post-hardcore, hits the House of Blues fresh off their recent reunion at Riot Fest. They’ve brought along their longtime opening bands Shot Baker and the Bollweevils, and the early show will also feature the equally legendary Effigies. The lineup rivals September’s Touch and Go anniversary bash, and should be a high priority for anyone who takes Chicago rock seriously. The late show will also feature the Dillinger Four, an influential punk-pop band from Minneapolis. (House of Blues, 6 p.m. and 11 p.m., $21.50).

Forget the Chinese government conspiracies: Body Worlds II is one of the most captivating, visionary museum exhibits that you’re likely to see in a long time. That’s assuming you see it before it closes on Sunday, and in case you need more of an incentive, the Museum of Science and Industry is staying open 24 hours both days this weekend. It’s not only a great exhibit; it’s also a great place to go when you leave a party at 3 a.m. (Museum of Science and Industry, 9:30 a.m. until 9 p.m. Sunday, $17)

Saturydat/ April 28

Speaking of all-day Hyde Park museum events, you may remember that around this time last year, the Hyde Park Arts Center (HPAC) re-opened for business. In case you needed a reminder, HPAC kicks off its second year with Creative Move Too, where they rekindle the memories of last year’s Creative Move with experimental jazz, five new exhibits, and countless activities that appeal to five-year-olds and college students alike (they’re not all that different, really). It’s all free and doesn’t let up for 24 hours. (Hyde Park Arts Center, 12:00 p.m., free)

Vive le USO! University Symphony Orchestra welcomes François Chaplin, a premiere French pianist, as part of its French Festival. He’ll tackle a little Debussy as the department of art history promotes 19th-century French art with visiting professor Jean-Michel Nectoux. The event is sure to please the numerous campus Francophones and will help get you in the mood for the upcoming French election. (Mandel Hall, 8 p.m., $5 for students)

If Naked Raygun doesn’t satisfy your taste for punk, perhaps one of the last remaining prominent hardcore punk bands will do the trick. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists will be coming to town, and the iconic D.C. punker has only gotten stronger in his golden years. He’ll be promoting his new album, Living with the Living, and anyone who remembers the band’s performance at Summer Breeze in ’05 knows that Leo’s live shows are some of the most inspiring you’ll see. (Metro, 7:30 p.m., $15)

Sunday/ April 29

Chamber music has always had a spur-of-the-moment feel to it, so it’s rare to see a chamber orchestra with lots of experience performing together. You can see this on Sunday, when the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, America’s only full-time chamber orchestra, performs at Mandel Hall. The orchestra is completing its second year of residency at the U of C with some fan favorites, including Bach’s Brandenburg Concerto and Stravinsky’s The Soldier’s Tale. (Mandel Hall, 3 p.m., $11 for students)

Monday/ April 30

If the White Sox don’t appeal to you as much as art, Xperience Chicago has the answer to their Sox event earlier this month in the form of Artropolis. Why not spend a Monday afternoon seeing the best art shows and antiques Chicago has to offer at the Merchandise Mart? Even if sports do appeal to you, it’s an off-day for both the Sox and the Bulls. (Sign in at the Reynolds Club, 2 p.m., free)

Tuesday/ May 1

After catching a glimpse of the hammer and sickle shadow on Pick today (hopefully it’s not cloudy this year), head across the quad to the Quadrangle Club for a little cabaret. This cabaret is more Woody Allen than Joel Gray, as the New Budapest Orpheum Society hosts a night of Jewish cabaret performance featuring pieces rescued from Vienna’s censor office. Philip Bohlman, one of the U of C’s chief ethnomusicology gurus, tries to rekindle the glory of pre-war Jewish culture. (Quadrangle Club, 6:30 p.m., free)

Wednesday/ May 2

Homer, country-folk, and the wit of the Coen brothers come to Doc Wednesday night for a special screening of O Brother, Where Art Thou, the Coen brothers’ inspired revival of the American musical with the story of Odysseus set in Depression-era Mississippi. It’s all part of Doc75, the celebration of Doc’s diamond anniversary. Danielle Allen, dean of the humanities, hosts a free night at the movies. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 7 p.m., Free)

Thursday/ May 3

Say what you will about its controversial yacht party, but ChicagoHYPE is correct to encourage the arts tonight when it rents out the Museum of Contemporary Art for A Night of Student Art. In addition to the student projects, all the galleries will be open to students. In keeping with HYPE’s reputation, food and drinks will be served (with catering by Wolfgang Puck), and there will be an after-party at the swanky Le Passage. (Museum of Contemporary Art, 8 p.m., $15–$25)

Tom Stoppard is the greatest living playwright writing English, and he’s only getting stronger, as his three-part epic The Coast of Utopia and surprisingly hip Rock and Roll have taken New York and London crowds by storm. Thursday night, one of Chicago’s best theater companies takes on one of Stoppard’s best plays, as the U of C’s very own Court Theater begins previews of Arcadia. The play features a fantastical story that travels from ancient Alexandria to 19th century mathematics to contemporary scholarship, all centering around a small English cottage. Stoppard is the perfect playwright for U of C students, and you get to see one of his finest in a theater right under your nose. (Court Theater, 7:30 p.m., $10 for students)