Crime Report: January 31, 2006

An attempted robbery occurred on January 26 at 7:52 a.m. on the 4700 block of South Ingleside Avenue. A 14-year-old boy was reportedly on his way to school when he stopped walking to count some money, at which point he was approached by two men who demanded the money. When the boy refused, one of the male offenders produced a box cutter and cut the victim on his shoulder. When the boy still refused to give up the money, the offenders fled the scene. One attacker was described as a black man wearing a dark jacket, and the other attacker was described as a black man wearing a blue jacket and blue jeans.

An armed robbery occurred on the 5100 block of South Blackstone Avenue at 8:21 p.m. on January 26. A 76-year-old female was carrying groceries and about to enter a courtyard when she was approached by a male offender with a handgun. The attacker fled the area with the woman’s black leather purse in hand, which reportedly contained keys and personal papers. The suspect was described as a black man, between 20 and 25 years of age, wearing a black hat and a black jacket.

A strong-arm robbery occurred on January 27 at 12:06 p.m. on the 5400 block of South Harper Avenue. According to police reports, a 36-year-old woman was walking alone when two male offenders approached her on the street and demanded money. The woman surrendered an undetermined amount of money to her attackers, who then fled the scene. The woman described one of the suspects as a black man with a gray and black beard, who was wearing a gray hoodie at the time of the attack. The other suspect was described as a black man, about 32 years old, with a scar on his right hand.

An armed robbery occurred on the 5800 block of South Cottage Grove Avenue at 6:05 p.m. on January 28. Two male victims, 15 and 14 years of age, were reportedly waiting at a bus stop and were approached by two male offenders. One of the offenders displayed a handgun and demanded money from the victims. The attackers seized $6 in cash from the boys and took a black and orange reversible coat and Nike gym shoes from one of the boys. The attackers also took a pair of Nike Air Force One sneakers from the other boy. According to police reports, the suspects were described as black men in their 20s, each wearing a black hooded sweatshirt.