Defensive leader makes Team of the Week: Sports Shorts 11/18/05

Rob Tamillow may not have been the best defensive player in UAA football last weekend, but he managed to cap off his career in style.

The fourth-year defensive tackle was named to the Division III Team of the Week for his performance for the Maroons, D3football.com announced Wednesday. It was the second time he had been selected for the elite squad this season, and the fourth such honor of his collegiate career.

With a winning season on the line in the team’s final game, Tamillow was a power for Chicago. He recorded eight solo tackles, including five tackles-for-loss to push Eureka back 19 yards, and a pair of sacks for eight yards. He also forced a first-quarter fumble that second-year linebacker Tony Insalaco recovered, helping to limit the Red Devils to just one touchdown in the 55–7 Chicago win.

For the season, the team co-captain busted out for 58 tackles, 44 of them solo, with a team-leading 24 for loss to push opponents back 89 yards. His TFL total set a program modern era single-season record, and he tied his own single-season sacks record (12) set in 2004. He recorded 2.5 tackles-for-loss per game, tying him for second in Division III. Tamillow also broke the modern era career record with 56 tackles-for-loss.