Should taxpayers fund Planned Parenthood? (Answer: No)

A news story titled

A news story titled Planned Parenthood Reports Record Profits, Abortions, also notes that Planned Parenthood received record governmental funding. In fact, the more than $300 million that the government handed over to Planned Parenthood accounted for over one third of its total income.The question of whether or not organizations like Planned Parenthood ought to get government subsidy should not turn on one’s position on abortion rights (for example, as a pro-lifer, I don’t think the National Right to Life Committee ought to receive any taxpayer money). Planned Parenthood is a partly political organization, and–as a general rule–taxpayers should not have to support ideas that they disagree with.Another troubling fact reported in the story is Planned Parenthood’s $55 million profit. Douglas Scott, Jr., president of Life Decisions International, points out, “This ‘not-for-profit’ entity ends every fiscal year with tens of millions of dollars in ‘excess revenue over expenses,’ which is known to regular people as ‘profit.'”Of course, Planned Parenthood only turns a profit on the taypayers’ dime.