Hack of the day

After TNR’s Michael Crowley slammed

After TNR’s Michael Crowley slammed Michael Crichton’s State of Fear Crichton added this random passage in his newest book about one “Mick Crowley”:

Alex Burnet was in the middle of the most difficult trial of her career, a rape case involving the sexual assault of a two-year-old boy in Malibu. The defendant, thirty-year-old Mick Crowley, was a Washington-based political columnist who was visiting his sister-in-law when he experienced an overwhelming urge to have anal sex with her young son, still in diapers. Crowley was a wealthy, spoiled Yale graduate and heir to a pharmaceutical fortune. …It turned out Crowley’s taste in love objects was well known in Washington, but [his lawyer]–as was his custom–tried the case vigorously in the press months before the trial, repeatedly characterizing Alex and the child’s mother as “fantasizing feminist fundamentalists” who had made up the whole thing from “their sick, twisted imaginations.” This, despite a well-documented hospital examination of the child. (Crowley’s penis was small, but he had still caused significant tears to the toddler’s rectum.)

Crowley has got to love this, nothing shows you got under someone’s skin like them including passages implying that you are a rich snob, child rapist, and that you have a small penis. Unfortunately, Crowley doesn’t seem to be relishing the moment as much as I would, but read his discussion of it here, it is very enjoyable.