Voices STD (Stuff to Do) – November 4, 2005

Friday / November 4

A more sobering Día de los Muertos event, focusing on violence against women in the U.S. and Mexican Latino communities, takes place in Hutch Commons. A ceremonial dance group called Nahualli performs, followed by talks by Lu Rocha and Marala Goode, representatives from domestic violence organizations in Juarez and Chicago, respectively. Mexican dinner is provided. (6 to 9 p.m., free, Hutchinson Commons)

The Hive, SGFC, and WHPK present a show featuring acts Xiu Xiu, Evan Saathoff, and Superargo. (9 p.m., $3, Ida Noyes Hall)

If experimental theater is more your thing, don’t miss the second night of University Theater’s double presentation of The Matchstick Theory and Valse, which are sure to stimulate your senses and possibly make your mind hurt. (8 p.m., $5, Third Floor Theater)

Saturday / November 5

The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra plays music by composers from Mozart to Elvis, joined by nine-year-old Cindy Lu, who is both a pianist and a tumbler…and whose name sounds an awful lot like a character from How the Grinch Stole Christmas. (Remember little Cindy-Lou Who?) But I digress. “Creators of Music” is a family concert, intended for kids ages six to 12 and their parents, but sounds like fun for college kids, too. ($10, Mandel Hall, 10:30 a.m.)

The Argentine Tango Club’s having a milonga. There will be much sexy dancing, as well as food and refreshments. A beginner’s lesson takes place beforehand, at 7. (8 p.m. to midnight, $7 with UCID, Ida Noyes Cloister Club)

Rockefeller Chapel plays host to the Anchiskhati Church Choir, a folk-liturgical ensemble from Tblisi, Georgia. That’s Georgia-the-country-in-Southwestern-Asia, not Georgia-the-U.S.-state. The U of C’s own Russian folk choir, Golosa, also performs. (8 p.m., $8, Rockefeller Memorial Chapel)

If you missed it yesterday, Image Union again presents a showcase of short films spanning its 28-year history at the Music Box Theatre tonight. (Midnight, 3733 North Southport Avenue)

Forget Introduction to Macro- or Microeconomics and sign up for Introduction to Cheese, a workshop presented by Mon Ami Gabi about French cheeses. Learn about the history and principles of cheese making, the right ways to taste cheese, French wine pairings, and other delightful matters. Registration is required; call (773) 348-8868 for your slot. Mmm…cheese. (12 to 2 p.m., $30, 2300 North Lincoln Park West)

Sunday / November 6

Brennan McGaffey and Temporary Services demonstrate their piece “Audio Relay,” part of the Smart’s Beyond Green exhibit, and talk about it in relation to some of the Smart’s permanent works, including Marcel Duchamp’s museum-in-a-box, the “Boite-en-Valise.” (1:30 p.m., free, Smart Museum)

I thought Steve Hofstetter, a collegehumor.com comedian, was really weird when he was on his crazy Facebook quest to make…what was it, 5,000 friends? But he’s doing a show tonight benefiting Service for Sight, put on by Delta Gamma, so maybe he’s a nice guy, after all. (7:30 p.m., free, Hutch Commons)

Monday / November 7

It’s Palestine Awareness Week (November 7-14). Come out tonight to the Palestinian Cultural Show. Featuring a performance by the Ibdaa Debka Troupe, a Palestinian dance group from the Dheisheh Refugee Camp in the West Bank. Dinner is included. (7 p.m., free, International House)

The English department’s 2005-06 Carpenter Lectures, given by Cornell’s Susan

Buck-Morss, focus on the weighty subject “Sovereignty and Time.” The lectures kick off today with “God and Empire” at 4:30 in Swift’s third floor lecture hall. Tomorrow’s “Who Owns Time?” takes place in Rosenwald 405 at the same time. Come back next Monday for the last lecture, “Heads of State and Other Monsters,” at 4:30 back in Swift’s third floor lecture hall.

Tuesday / November 8

Poet Susan Howe and musician and composer David Grubbs present the U.S. premiere of “Thiefth,” including performance versions of Howe’s “Thorow” and “Melville’s Marginalia” for voice, computer, and piano. Howe reads, and Grubbs accompanies on the piano and computer. (7 p.m., free, Fulton Recital Hall)

Wednesday / November 9

Dance Marathon (DM) 2006 is still months away, but you can get a bit of a preview of DM tonight. Come to Ida for free dinner and a benefit performance featuring student dance acts (some of them will be leading lessons at Dance Marathon), improv comedy, and more. All proceeds go to the Children’s Place Association, a pediatric AIDS charity. (7 to 9:45 p.m., free, Ida Noyes third floor theater)

Now you can break out your dance moves while bowling. WHPK teams up with Radio Free Chicago to spin some records tonight at Seven Ten Lanes, formerly known as Lucky Strike. (8 p.m. to midnight, 1055 East 55th Street)

Thursday / November 10

Interviews can be pretty bewildering, if not downright terrifying. If you could use some insight into the process, check out Interview Skills and Strategies: Tips From the Other Side of the Desk. Mock candidates interview for the same job; employers critique them, explaining who they would choose and why. Pizza and refreshments will be served. RSVP to Meghan Riley at the University Alumni Association at mriley@uchicago.edu or (773) 702-5189 by November 9. (6 p.m., 5555 South Woodlawn Avenue)

Reeling: the Chicago Lesbian and Gay International Film Festival approaches the end of its annual run, so if you haven’t caught a film or documentary yet, don’t miss Bad Girls Behind Bars, a campy collection of classic clips from the women-in-prison genre that would make Sappho herself proud—audience participation will be required! (8:30 p.m., $10, Columbia College’s Film Row Cinema)