Three qualify for NCAAs at Last Chance

Four Maroons will compete next weekend

This is the way the season ends, not with a bang but a whimper. Only four Maroons qualified for nationals this season, three of them attaining the requisite times with their performances at the North Central Last Chance meet on Friday. Fourth-year Liz Lawton, who did not run last weekend, will also compete at nationals.

Exhaustion from last weekend’s UAA meet was evident as the Maroons struggled to string together many strong performances.

“It certainly wasn’t the most positive end to a season we’ve had. Outside of Jacob Solus hitting the provisional standard in the triple jump, there weren’t too many highlights,” said fourth-year Brian Andreycak. “Dee Brizzolara and Dan Heck had good performances in the 400 and weight throw, respectively. Thankfully, Andrew Wells-Qu and I were still able to make it into the national meet despite not bettering our times on Friday.”

Andreycak finished second in the 60-meter hurdles with a provisionally-qualifying time of 8.33. He also broke the 8.43 facility record.

“The goal for the national meet is very clear: Make it into the finals. I’m currently tied for the slowest time entered in the meet, so I don’t have any expectations to deal with except those I put on myself. I only need to be in the top 8 of the 13 entrants to make it to finals, but obviously this is the toughest meet of the year, so that’s easier said than done,” said Andreycak.

Though fourth-year Jacob Solus won the triple jump event with his leap of 14.15 meters, he will not be competing at nationals. Last weekend at UAA’s, Solus used only a half approach to prevent further injury to his hamstring. The North Central Last Chance meet was Solus’s first time jumping with a full approach.

“The provisional mark I put out this past weekend was not high enough get me into nationals. This indoor season I have been plagued by injuries, so this was only the second meet I have jumped at. I need to work out a few kinks but I expect to be back to where I should be by the start of the outdoor season,” said Solus.

Fourth-year Kristin Constantine took second place in the weight throw with her toss of 17.39m going well beyond the provisionally qualifying standard of 15.75 meters. She also placed fifth in the shot put with a provisionally qualifying throw of 12.98 meters. Constantine was recently named UAA Most Outstanding Performer in field events.

The NCAA Division III Championship will take place March 11–12 in Columbus, OH.