Sports Shorts: May 24, 2005

NFCA: Roberts rules

For three straight years, third-year starter Hannah Roberts has been at the pinnacle of pitching in Division III softball. For the third year in a row, the National Fastpitch Coaches Association confirmed her place at the top of the heap.

Roberts was named an All-American for the third time, the NFCA announced Friday.

The Maroons’ all-time career shutouts leader earned a spot on the third team with a 16-4 record, a 0.36 ERA, and 205 strikeouts on the season. She served as the ace for a team that went 25-10. This stellar season was actually a step down from her 2004 campaign in which she earned second-team status after collecting 19 wins, 226 strikeouts, and leading Division III with a 0.25 ERA.

She made the third team after her first season with the Maroons, in which she went 14–3 with a 0.61 ERA.

Roberts will enter next year gunning for her a spot on the first team. Whether she makes it or not, she will certainly rewrite the record books for Chicago softball. Currently, the Maroons ace is tied with Kelly Ostler (A.B. ’02) for the career lead in wins (49), stands only 98 Ks behind Ostler for the career strikeout record (689), and trails Kathy McGarvey (A.B. ’88) in career innings pitched by just 55 (484.2).

She is already the program leader in ERA (0.39) and shutouts (24) and holds single-season marks in wins (19), ERA (0.25), strikeouts (226), shutouts (11), and innings pitched (166.2).

-—Joe Katz