Flying high: Maroons tame Tigers

The women’s soccer team extended its winning streak to seven games yesterday afternoon, defeating the 19th-ranked DePauw Tigers 3-1 on a chilly, muddy home finale.

Fourth-years midfielder Emily Walker and goalkeeper Ann Zimo were honored before the game for their career accomplishments. Walker played a tough midfield, and Zimo allowed only one goal to cap their careers at home.

Second-year forward Bridget Hogan proved to be Chicago’s most powerful offensive weapon. Hogan put the Maroons (14-1-2, 5-0-1) up 2-0 with her first goal of the year 20:59 into the game off an assist from first-year forward Christine Farmer, and then notched her second with four minutes left to ice the match.

Third-year forward Renee Neuner tallied the first goal of the match in the 19th minute. She was assisted by fellow third-year, midfielder Randi Leppla.

“It was a great pass from [third-year defender Diana Connett], and I just turned and sent it over the defense,” Leppla said. “Renee did an amazing job getting it under control and chipping the keeper.”

Neuner has scored in six of her last seven matches for a total of 18 goals this season.

DePauw scored with 19:20 left in the first half after Zimo went down trying to stop a DePauw (9-4-2) breakaway. The Tigers’ only other major offensive threat came off a free kick with 14 minutes remaining.

The Chicago players were pleased to solidify a non-conference win against a ranked team.

“We really came out and had fun against DePauw,” Leppla said. “The field was a mess, but we played well despite the conditions. You just have to dig in and fight on days like that.”

The Maroons have their most important game ahead of them Saturday in St. Louis against Wash U (15-2-0, 5-1-0). As successful as the Maroons have been in recent years, they have not won a UAA title since 2000. They enter Saturday’s game in the conference lead—as they did last year before losing at home in double overtime—and a shot at an automatic playoff berth.

The Maroons know they will have to be at the top of their game to fend off the Bears.

“Wash U is a good team and it’s going to be an intense game,” Leppla said. “We can’t wait to play them and would love to be celebrating a conference championship on their field.”