OP-EDS

/  

February 20, 2004

Administration holds its own

We've heard about the Black Monday of stock market fame, but what about the U of C's Tragic Thursday? All in the space of 24 hours, the Burton-Judson Dining Commons were closed for health violations, all buses running on 55th Street were re-routed due to a gas-main leak, and the Reynolds Club was hit by a power outage and was shut down for several hours.

In the midst of all this chaos, University administrations displayed an impressive degree of resourcefulness and grace under fire. Despite being noticeably flustered during phone conversations, they handled the situations presented to them quickly and professionally. We want to take this opportunity to commend the people behind the scenes that make the University tick.

Most people may not even recognize the near disaster that befell the University community yesterday. For example, all food at Burton-Judson was prepared at Pierce dining hall, where the stoves and ovens are run by gas. If gas had been cut off to that area because of the leak, Bartlett would have been forced to shoulder a burden quite beyond its capabilities—feeding thousands of hungry students. In the face of such possibilities, officials remained calm and did their jobs.

The administrators' mothers may have told them there'd be days like this, but disaster generally comes without warning. At least they can take solace in the fact that, whatever today holds, it will be better than the day before.