Voices STD – November 18, 2005

Friday / November 18

The Checkerboard Lounge reopens in Hyde Park today. Go check it out (after the private ceremony earlier in the evening, of course). (9:30 p.m.–2 a.m., $15, 21+, 5201 South Harper Avenue)

If you’re at least 21 and looking for love, free dating website Datinground.com is throwing a party at Cleary’s on Clark, with complimentary hors d’oeuvres and all-you-can-drink cocktails. (8–10 p.m., $20 at the door, 3438 North Clark Street)

As usual, the Experimental Film Club offers up an interesting-sounding screening at the Film Studies Center in Cobb 307. Magic Lantern presents The Comedy Show, Part One (in Eight Parts). Some of the short 16mm films are John Smith’s The Girl Chewing Gum, George Kuchar’s Hold Me While I’m Naked, and Tricia’s Wedding by the Cockettes. (8 p.m., free, 5811 South Ellis Avenue)

The Div School plays host to a classical Indian music concert, with acclaimed musicians Rabindra Goswami on sitar and Ramchandra Pandit on tabla. Treat yourself to samosas from Rajun Cajun and coffee and tea from Plum Café. (7:30 p.m., free with UCID, 1025 East 58th Street)

In the vein of world music, check out the Middle East Music Ensemble’s “In Celebration of Arab Heritage Month,” performing a blend of classical Arab poetry and music, led by Issa Boulos, on the fourth floor of Goodspeed. (6 p.m., free, 5845 South Ellis Avenue)

Hustle on over to University Church—it’s your last chance to see Off-Off Campus’s 19th generation perform “Welcome to the Pleasure-Dome.” (9 p.m., $4, 5655 South University Avenue)

Human Rights Watch Executive Director Ken Roth delivers a lecture at the I-House called “Are We Really Safer?: Torture and Detention in the Fight Against Terrorism.” (4:30–6 p.m., free, 1414 East 59th Street)

Saturday / November 19

Make your way to Hutch to bid on some cuties (guys and gals alike) at the KSO Date Auction, the last event of the Giving Tree’s Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week. Part of the auction’s proceeds go to Giving Tree charity funds. (8:30-10:30 p.m., free, 5706 South University Avenue)

When friends fall for each other, things often get complicated. They certainly do for the two NYC women around whom Stop Kiss revolves (I’ll say no more, so as not to ruin the plot). Check out UT’s production of Diana Son’s funny—sad play, which opened Thursday in the Reynolds Club’s third-floor theater and closes tonight. ($5, 8 p.m., 5706 South University Avenue)

The University Chamber Orchestra performs Mozart’s Overture to The Marriage of Figaro, Wagner’s Siegfried Idyll, and the Symphony in D Minor by Juan Crisóstomo Arriaga, a.k.a. the “Spanish Mozart,” in Goodspeed’s Fulton Recital Hall. (8 p.m., free, 5845 South Ellis Avenue)

Thirty local authors who wrote—and in many cases, published—their own books will be on hand at Illinois Woman’s Press Association’s Meet the Authors. Chicago Public Radio’s Diantha Parker serves as guest emcee at this event, held at the Chicago Cultural Center. (10 a.m.–3 p.m., free, 78 East Washington Street)

Sunday / November 20

Super Furry Animals and Caribou take the stage at Metro tonight. Doors open at 8 p.m. (9 p.m., $19.50, 3730 North Clark Street)

Monday / November 21

Chicago-area duo White/Light headlines tonight’s free Monday show at the Empty Bottle, joined by Cairo Gang and Mysteries, featuring Jason Ajemian, Tim Kinsella, Robert AA Lowe, and Ben Vida.

Tuesday / November 22

Now that the book’s out, come to Mandel Hall to hear the arguments and to draw your own conclusions about which is better—the latke or the hamantash. Whether you’re Jewish or not, the Great Latke–Hamantash Debate is a fun time, and a U of C tradition besides—in its 59th year and still going strong. (7:30 p.m., free, 5706 South University Avenue)

Sit yourself down in BSLC 109 for a panel about the barriers to global health care, followed by a presentation by Remedy Peru, which recently delivered more than 2,000 pounds of medicine and medical supplies to Peru. Free Peruvian dinner is provided. (4:30 p.m., free, 924 East 57th Street)

Venture out to the Newberry Library to see its new Mike Royko collection––papers and artifacts donated by his widow, Judy Royko—on display beginning today and through January 14. Like all Newberry exhibits, it’s free and open to the public. Go to www.newberry.org/programs/YTE.html for gallery hours and more about the exhibit.

Apollo Sunshine and the Naysayers perform at Beat Kitchen. (9 p.m., $8 in advance, $10 at the door, 2100 West Belmont Avenue)

Wednesday / November 23

It’s Superjane’s Annual Night Before Thanksgiving Soireeb (duh), featuring DJ Heather, Colette, Dayhota, and Lady D, at the Metro. (10 p.m., $10 before 11 p.m., $15 after 11 p.m., 21+, 3730 North Clark Street)

It’s the second annual Black Wednesday party—another pre-holiday excuse for debauchery—at the Empty Bottle, with Galactic Inmate, Euphone, and pop trio Pinebender. (9:30 p.m., $8, 21+, 1035 North Western Avenue)

Thursday / November 24

Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy the long weekend––may it be restful and food-filled and replenish you for finals.

Missing Mom’s turkey more than you’d like to admit? Pretend you’re too cool for T-Day at Ann Sather. Best of all, they only need 30 minutes notice to pack up a full dinner. Just don’t try this at the Andersonville location. ($16.95 for dinner, $10 for pie, 929 West Belmont Avenue)

If you’re still on campus, there’s an interfaith Thanksgiving service over at Rockefeller, put on by the Hyde Park–Kenwood Interfaith Council. (11 a.m., free, 115 East 59th Street)