Crime Report

There was a burglary at 3:40 p.m. on Monday, May 9, at 5400 South Drexel Avenue. The victim reports that when he left his residence on that date his front door was forced open and the frame was hanging off. He notified the police and reported some papers stolen. His home was in disarray and the side window to the apartment was shattered.

At 4:40 p.m. on Friday, May 6, near 57th Street and Kimbark Avenue, a man was confronted by two men in a hallway of his apartment building. One displayed a gun. He was forced back into his apartment where he was tied up and his head was covered with a cloth. The men searched the apartment, took some valuables, and fled. Police are investigating.

At 6 a.m. on Friday, April 29, in the 5100 block of South Kimbark Avenue and at 6:50 a.m. on Friday, May 6 in the 5300 block of South Kimbark Avenue, a man rang the doorbell of an apartment on each occasion and indicated that he needed to come up to the apartment. In the first incident, he said that he was an SBC worker who needed to look at phone equipment; in the second incident, he said he needed to talk to the occupant. In the first incident, he was admitted and allowed into the apartment where he knocked a woman to the floor, scratched her with a fork, and then took valuables before fleeing. In the second incident, the apartment resident did not allow him to enter the building. The intruder was described as a black man in his 20s or 30s wearing a black jogging suit with white stripes. Police are investigating these incidents.