Crime Report: May 3, 2005

A robbery occurred on April 29 at around 6 a.m. near 5100 South Kimbark Avenue. A man rang the doorbell for a woman’s apartment and claimed to be a telephone repairman. The woman let in the assailant who, after entering her apartment, threw her to the floor, held her there, and demanded that she give him money and belongings. He finally released the woman and fled, after she gave him her wallet and cell phone.

A strong-arm robbery occurred near 5200 South Kenwood Avenue on April 29, at 12:45 p.m. A 16-year-old male reported that as he was walking down 53rd Street two men approached him, one of whom asked for money. The young man gave him 50 cents and continued to walk north on Kenwood. The same man then ran behind the young man, struck him and knocked him down, and stole his wallet and other belongings.

Another robbery occurred at 4700 South Greenwood on May 1 at 10:28 p.m. An 18-year-old woman reported that she was walking northbound on Greenwood Avenue when two men approached her from behind a parked vehicle and one of the men struck her and knocked her to the ground. A witness pursued and apprehended the assailant, who was then taken into custody.