Globalization takes the stage this weekend

The 7th Annual Globalization Conference, Mapping Global Landscapes: Emerging Spaces and Subjects, cosponsored by the Globalization Workshop and the Chicago Center for Contemporary Theory, will occur May 6 and 7 in the Social Science Research building.

Beginning Friday at 3 p.m. in Social Sciences 122, panelists will share their thoughts on the study of globalization and research methods. This year’s panelists are Craig Calhoun of New York University, author of Critical Social Theory: Culture, History, and the Challenge of Difference; Uma Kothari of the University of Manchester, author of Global Peddlers and Local Networks; Linda Bosniak of Rutgers University, author of The Citizen and the Alien: Dilemmas of Contemporary Membership, and Warren Sack of the University of California at Santa Cruz, author of Architecture and Very Large-Scale Conversations. Saturday will feature the panelists as discussants in doctoral student-run panels on Saturday from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m., followed by remarks from sociology professor Terry Nicholas Clark.

“The conference is part of this larger vision of how to produce good scholarship about globalization,” said Saskia Sassen, a professor in sociology and moderator of the event, who emphasized that the study of globalization cannot always be viewed in clear parameters such as global institutions and processes.

The conference helps promote globalization scholarship, because doctoral students get to engage in public with experts in the field about part of their presented dissertation, according to Sassen.

The event, co-sponsored by the Norman Wait Harris Fund of the Center for International Studies and The Council on Advance Studies in the Humanities and Social Science, is open to the public.