Voices STD (Stuff to Do)—February 24, 2006

Friday, February 24

Former Fire Escape president and Rhodes Scholar Maria Cecire’s documentary, Momentum: Math and Science Teachers in Zambia, enjoys a screening at the Film Studies Center. A Question and Answer follows the 28-minute film. (5 p.m., free, 5811 South Ellis Avenue)

Cherish strong opinions about Madame Bovary? Swing by the Social Science Research Building this afternoon for the 2006 Sigmund H. Danziger Jr. Distinguished Lecture in the Humanities. University of Paris VIII philosophy professor emeritus Jacques Ranciere delivers a lecture, “Why Emma Bovary Had To Be Killed: Some Reflections on Literature, Medicine, and Democracy,” in Room 122. (4:30 p.m., free, 1126 East 59th Street)

Come to Mandel Hall to watch University Ballet perform Marius Petipa’s La Bayadere, a story of the illicit love affair between an Indian bayadere, or temple dancer, and a warrior. It’s the U of C’s first full-length ballet; don’t miss artistic history in the making. (7:30 p.m., $5 for students, $7 for non-students, 5706 South University Avenue)

Looking for love? Remedy is hosting a 21-and-over date auction in BSLC 109. Happy hour takes place from 7 to 8 p.m., after which grad students sell themselves to the highest bidder. And it’s all for a worthy cause: the money raised goes toward buying medical supplies for those lacking them in the Dominican Republic. (7 p.m., $5, 924 East 57th Street)

Head to the Hallowed Grounds (formerly Uncle Joe’s) for the 1000 Typewriters release party, hosted by the Music Production Organization and the Society for Undergraduate Poetry. The event features poetry readings, as well as musical performance by AvantDANCE, the Goddamn Shame, WRFD, and the D.S.K. Groove. (8:30–11 p.m., free, 5706 South University Avenue)

Celebrate Fat Tuesday on a Friday as COUP’s Mardi Gras event takes over Ida Noyes tonight. There’ll be tons of free food, alcohol for those 21 and over, face painting, Tarot cards, and performances. (9 p.m.–1 a.m., free, 1212 East 59th Street)

Pop-rock band the Injured Parties performs at Gunther Murphy’s with the Valley Downs and Star. (10 p.m., $7, 1638 West Belmont Avenue)

Saturday, February 25

Join WHPK and the University of Chicago Film Studies Center tonight in Cobb at Pictures and Sounds, featuring silent films with live music accompaniment by musicians Mark Solotroff, Koura, the LSDudes, and Tangleweed. (7 p.m., free, 5811 South Ellis Avenue)

Head to BARTS for the sweet a cappella stylings of Men in Drag, Voices in Your Head, and UMich’s the Kopitonez, followed by a sweet after-party. (7:30 p.m., $3, 5640 South University Avenue)

Rockefeller Chapel Choir, Golosa, and University Chorus team up for As the Incense: Mysticism in New Choral Music, a choral concert at the Rock. The program includes works by Gretchaninov, Robert Moran, Part, Taverner, Whitacre, and Gorecki. Moran speaks at the concert’s start. (8 p.m., free, 5850 South Woodlawn Avenue)

Animal Collective rocks out with spoken word musician BARR at 5:30 and First Nation at 10:30 at Logan Square Auditorium. (5:30 and 10:30 p.m., $15, 2539 North Kedzie)

Head to the South Lounge for the Spartacist League Black History Speaking Tour, a presentation on black liberation and socialist revolution followed by “The Fight to Free Mumia Abu-Jamal.” (1 p.m., free, 5706 South University Avenue)

Chicago’s Flamenco 2006! Festival is drawing to a close, Today marks the last day of one of its events, an art exhibit by Spanish painter Pepe Criado at the John Hancock Center’s Instituto Cervantes. (9 a.m.–1 p.m., free, 875 North Michigan Avenue)

Sunday, February 26

Run Logan and Ryan Powers put on a 21 and over show at Subterranean. (9 p.m., $5, 2011 West North Avenue)

Songstress and Chicago native Maggie Brown brings Legacy: Our Wealth of Music—her one-woman show exploring African American music’s history, from work songs by slaves to modern-day rap—to the First Presbyterian Church. (3 p.m., free, 6400 South Kimbark Avenue)

If you missed the 7:30 shows Friday and Saturday, this is your last chance to see the Classical Entertainment Society’s production of Plautus’s The Brothers Menaechmus, a Roman comedy. The Burton-Judson basement theater serves as the stage. (3 p.m., $5 in advance, $8 at the door, 1005 East 60th Street)

Monday, February 27

Attend a reading by American poet, novelist, playwright, and Macalester College English professor Diane Glancy at Graham Taylor Chapel, situated above the Seminary Co-Op. Come 30 minutes early for refreshments. (5:30 p.m., free, 5757 South University Avenue)

Burmese refugee Bo Kyi draws from his experiences to speak about human-rights violations in Burma in Eyewitness Burma, organized by the U of C’s Free Burma Project. Come for the talk and the free Thai dinner and dessert. (6:30 p.m., free, 5835 South Greenwood Avenue)

Tuesday, February 28

It’s your last chance to eat at The Berghoff, a Chicago Loop restaurant that’s been around for more than 100 years and that closes tonight at 9 p.m. It’s no longer accepting reservations, but you can line up around the block for a chance at getting seated.

Wednesday, March 1

Don’t be afraid to break out the profanity. Charlemagne, Canasta, and the awesomely named Swearing at Motorists play the Empty Bottle. (9:30 p.m., $8, 1035 North Western Avenue)

Thursday, March 2

Intuit: The Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art screens the documentary Other People’s Pictures, featuring interviews by nine vintage snapshot collectors who search for pictures on specific themes that have been lost or discarded by their original owners. Collection subjects include Nazis’ family photos, people with Down’s Syndrome, and men in homoerotic poses. (7 p.m., $5, 756 North Milwaukee Avenue)

Princeton’s Cornel West speaks about his latest book, Democracy Matters, at the Organization of Black Students’ annual George E. Kent Lecture. A Q&A and book signing follow West’s Mandel hall lecture. (7 p.m., free, 5706 South University Avenue)

Chicago Latino contemporary dance company Luna Negra kicks off its 2006 season with Coreografos Cubanos (Cuban Choreographers) as part of Columbia College Chicago Dance Center’s Latino Contempo Festival. The program runs through Sunday. (8 p.m., $28, 1306 South Michigan Avenue)

Have an event you’d like to see in STD? Send an e-mail to htyoo@uchicago.edu