ChoMUN hosts annual Model U. N. event

This weekend marked the ninth annual University of Chicago Model United Nations (ChoMUN) conference. The event was held from Thursday through Sunday at Holiday Inn-Mart Plaza in downtown Chicago.

Attending the conference were 32 teams from universities nationwide. Among those, the first-place award for Best Delegation was given to Yale University, with Outstanding Delegation and Honorable Mention presented to Harvard University and Florida State University, respectively. Additionally, the title of Best Small Delegation was awarded to Washington University–St. Louis.

While the Chicago delegation created and led the committee meetings, it did not compete.

Throughout the conference, the delegations competing took part in small committee meetings and debates, ranging from a simulated modern day Security Council to more alternative councils, such as King Canute’s Viking Council from the 11th century.

With this range of format, the conference was designed to keep the debate “fresh” for the delegations, according to organizers.

“We try to push the boundaries of the debate format as much as possible,” said ChoMUN secretary-general Bob Popper, a fourth-year in the College.

“All the people attending had an excellent time,” said Popper, who added that the weekend was a success. He cited the examples of a false research database presented to the delegations and the simulation of the 2008 GOP campaign committee as key accomplishments.