/  

May 17, 2006

Individual liberty and same-sex marriage

The town of Black Jack, Missouri has a law on the books that makes it illegal for three or more people who are not related by "blood, marriage or adoption" to live together. Today, the City Council rejected a law that would have redefined the town's definition of a family to allow unmarried couples with two or more children to live together. Currently, they cannot.I'm sure--and hope--that the origin of the law is in some safety regulation about too many people living in one place, but it can, in my opinion, clearly be applied to unjust means. To not allow unmarried parents and their children the ability to live together is nothing more than an infringement of basic individual liberty.It is situations such as these--along with the likes of hospital visitation and next-of-kin policies--that make me in strong favor of allowing same-sex marriage. The only difference between same-sex couples in this country and the unwed couple in Black Jack, Missouri that brought the lawsuit, is that no same-sex couples have the same rights as heterosexual married couples anywhere in our supposedly free country. That couple in Missouri could easily tell everyone what it is like to be a same-sex couple in America: it is second-class citizenship.Trust that this will not be the last of my lobbying for legal same-sex marriage in this country.