/  

July 14, 2006

Top Five: Albums3

Alright, so here are my top five favorite albums. 1. "Layla" by Derek and the Dominos: It features two guitar gods at their peak and was inspired by Clapton's love for his best-friend's wife. It doesn't get much better than that. This isn’t Rock for the sake of Rock, it is raw emotions (and plenty of drugs) creating the best blues-rock I’ve ever heard. If I could have only one CD to listen to for the rest of my life, this would be it.2. "At Fillmore East" by the Allman Brothers Band: This album is perfect. From Duane's starting riff on Statesboro Blues to the teasing drum beats that open Mountain Jam (which would be featured on Eat a Peach) at the end of Whipping Post it doesn't get much better than this. For about a year I had a CD with You Don't Love Me, Whipping Post, and Mountain Jam in my car. It was all I listened to. Every jam band since has tried to replicate this, none have succeeded, and none ever will.3. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" by The Beatles: This is the first album I ever purchased, and it was a damn good choice. It has classic after classic and it is the Beatles at their best.4. "Exile on Main Street" by The Rolling Stones: An album that is truly an experience. This album captures the attitude, swagger, and angst that defines Rock 'n Roll. Everyone might credit the Who's Peter Townshend for understanding what Rock meant, but no album better exemplifies what Rock is.5. "Electric Ladyland" by The Jimi Hendrix Experience: This album can never be replicated. It is Hendrix at his best creating a sound only he could ever make. Honorable mention (in no particular order): "London Calling" by The Clash, "American Beauty" by The Grateful Dead, every Beatles album after and including "Rubber Soul," "Highway 61 Revisited" by Bob Dylan, "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis, "A Love Supreme" by John Coltrane, and "Who's Next" by The Who.By the way, Rolling Stone did their own top albums list, but I get the feeling they were going for the more objective, "most significant albums of all time."