/  

September 13, 2006

Reality based politics in Chicago?

Daley has gone ahead and vetoed the miserable "big-box" ordinance passed earlier this summer. He still has to convince two aldermen to switch their vote for it to actually not become law, but the veto is the first step.Regardless, Daley gave a fantastic defense of his decision to veto the ordinance the other day:

"Not one person objected to any type of store in the suburban area," Daley said. "No one said, 'Mayor, you're wrong. No one said the aldermen are wrong. No one said the community (was) wrong, or church leaders. Only in the West Side, only in the South Side."The supporters, nearly all of them African Americans from community organizations, erupted in cheers.Daley said his decision to issue the first veto of his 17-year tenure was based on fairness, pointing to a map that showed big box stores ringing the city.He said he understands that people are upset with stagnant wages at a time when Wall Street executives make millions. But he said the minimum wage must be raised at the state or federal level so that local disparities are not created.
He does pass the buck on minimum wage law, but regardless this is the first time I've heard a politician making a reality based policy argument in a long time. Chicago might be terribly corrupt, but having an oligarch comes with benefits, namely a fantastically run city that doesn't base its policy on whatever fad liberals are demanding.