Sports Shorts 4/27/07: Rescheduling updates as Mother Nature wreaks havoc on Maroons’ weekday slate

With the recent change in the weather, the Maroons had a flurry of changes to their schedules that now clutter an already packed weekend slate. Both baseball and softball had games postponed this week, and track will not be competing as scheduled.

Sneaking in a doubleheader with the sunny weather, softball (20–8) completed a sweep of Lake Forest (14–14) Tuesday, but was dealt a rain delay for Thursday’s showdown with Aurora (31–5). Chicago will host the Spartans today and return to Stagg Sunday to take on Lawrence (13–6), with the Phoenix Phanatix set to throw another barbeque behind the bleachers during the game.

Coming off of back-to-back twinbills, baseball was set to go nine innings at Concordia (21–11–1) Wednesday. The matchup has been postponed with no make-up date determined. The Maroons will head to St. Louis this weekend for their only showdowns within the UAA when they square off against Case (11–15) and Wash U (25–8).

The track teams will be back in action at the Butler Twilight May 5. Originally slated to compete at the Old Fashion Track meet Wednesday, the squads chose to rest this week. The prestigious Drake Relays will go off this weekend in Des Moines without any Maroons toeing the line. Last year, Chicago sent its 1,600-meter sprint medley, the distance medley, and the 800-meter from the women’s squad and finished among the top seven in each event.