LETTERS

/  

November 7, 2008

Campaign support not to be condemned

Our stunning victory on election night—particularly the unexpected win in Indiana, where SFBO focused most of its volunteer efforts—was tarnished by knowing that I had upset you with my silly “passion” for the democratic process.

Having read Alice Hur’s op-ed “Life of the Open Mind” (11/04/08) which criticized U of C students for their avid and highly visible Obama support, I would like to apologize. As an active member of the school’s Students for Barack Obama (SFBO) group since Obama declared his candidacy, I was unaware that some students could be upset by political activism. I was similarly unaware that my support for the Senator’s campaign was due not to his campaign themes of reform and optimism, nor his plans to fix health care, fight terrorism, and help the economy, but rather it is because I go to a school that is “so near his home in Kenwood and [was] once his employer.” I will have to tell my friends at other schools that they should rescind their support immediately.

Our stunning victory on election night—particularly the unexpected win in Indiana, where SFBO focused most of its volunteer efforts—was tarnished by knowing that I had upset you with my silly “passion” for the democratic process. I also want to make a special point of apologizing for our chalking, which was apparently “inordinate.” I understand that it blocked your view of the ground and that due to its permanent nature, you will have to stare at our silly “get involved in your democracy” messages forever. It also took up valuable space, which could have been used to discuss a matter of real importance, namely an upcoming Chinese bun sale.

Really, of course, our methods came with their own punishment—the more we asked people to get involved, the more people would show up at our events—making it occasionally difficult to organize transportation! Counterproductive, indeed.

As a token of my good faith, I promise to never again make “a random snipe at Republicans,” no matter how racist, offensive, or idiotic their comments. Representative Bachman, you can call any time. You too, Rick “homosexuality equals bestiality” Santorum! No hard feelings.

In conclusion, please know that I sincerely regret my hours spent volunteering for a cause I believe in. In future elections, I will try to do as little as possible to participate in civic life. After all, as you’ve taught me so well, I have to be open-minded.

Ezra Deutsch-Feldman

Class of 2010