Sports shorts: Men celebrate year’s end

Male varsity athletes celebrated their 2008-2009 season Tuesday night with an awards banquet hosted by the Undergraduate Order of the “C” at International House.

Over the course of the evening, which included dinner and the presentation of a video slide show highlighting the graduating seniors, thirteen student athletes won awards.

The Amos Alonzo Stagg Medal, granted to a senior who has demonstrated athletic commitment, scholarship, and character throughout his collegiate career, was awarded to forward Nate Hainje. Hainje, the only player in the conference to rank among the top ten in the NCAA Division III in scoring, rebounding, and assists in the regular 2007-2008 season, was named to the State Farm NCAA Division III All-American Second Team. This past season, he helped lead the Maroons to a second straight UAA victory and earn an automatic bid to the 2008 NCAA Division III tournament.

The Mary Jean Mulvaney Scholar-Athlete Award, presented to the senior with at least three varsity letters who has earned the highest grade point average during his third and fourth years, was awarded to decathlon runner Zach Rodgers. Rodgers was recently named UAA Athlete of the Week and will compete in the NCAA Division III Outdoor Championship this weekend in the triple jump.

Rodgers also won the Ted Haydon Medal, since he was the track and field competitor who amassed the most points at the Indoor and Outdoor UAA Championship meets.

Three other sport-specific awards were given to members of the tennis, baseball, and basketball teams.

The Max Davidson Award, recognizing the tennis player who has distinguished himself by his dedication to the sport and his team, was given to fourth-year Bharath Sithian.

Outfielder Mike Serio won the J. Kyle Anderson Award, which is given to the senior baseball player who best exemplifies character, leadership, integrity, dedication, and athletic ability throughout his collegiate career.

The Joseph A. Stampf Award, presented to the senior basketball player whose commitment to values and integrity is expressed through his relationship with his teammates and coaches, was granted to guard Kirk Ellsworth.

Team MVPs were awarded to Hainje, Rodgers, fourth-year cross-country runner Ryan McCarl, fourth-year linebacker Gaby Fernandez, fourth-year midfielder Stuart Phelps, fourth-year swimmer Zach Ergish, second-year wrestler Troy Carlson, fourth-year thrower John Anderson, fourth-year pitcher Dominik Meyer, and first-year tennis player Tim Walsh.