Sports Shorts 5/9/08: Women’s soccer drops game to Wildcats

Missing key players and fielding a few experimental formations, women’s soccer played Northwestern in a spring exhibition game Tuesday, holding their D-I opponents scoreless in the first half before allowing two goals in the second to finish with a score of 2–0.

The Maroons, who traveled without a goalkeeper, borrowed first-year Wildcat Grace Weitz for the contest. Weitz and the Maroons’ back four contained Northwestern for the first half as the action centered on the physical matchups at midfield.

The best scoring chance for the Maroons fell to second-year midfielder Claire Gill just after the half-hour mark, as she launched a hard shot from outside the box, just missing the top right corner of the goal.

The Wildcats broke out early in the second half, and pressured Chicago’s young defense for much of the stanza. The breaking point came when first-year striker Sam Greene found room on the right wing, darted into the box, and sent it cleanly past Weitz. The second Wildcat goal was scored with only eight seconds left in the match as second-year forward Alicia Herczeg slotted one in off Weitz’s attempted block.

The exhibition game allowed head coach Amy Reifert to evaluate the results of offseason training, test potential lineups, and gauge the potential of walk-on players. For the players, it was a chance to gear up for the fall season against tough competition.

Despite the 2–0 result, the game represented a valuable opportunity for the Maroons to match up against a quick, physical D-I team.

“[It] was a very encouraging indication of our abilities to be problem solvers and to step up in competitive situations,” third-year midfielder Siggy Nachtergaele said.