STD (Stuff to Do) 10/30/09 – 11/5/09

UT does Soc and film documents rabbits living inside the Berlin Wall.

Friday | October 30

Get in the mood for Halloween at Rockefeller Chapel’s screening of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The 1923 silent film will feature a live accompaniment by organist Jay Warren on the newly restored E.M. Skinner organ. (Rockefeller Chapel, 8 p.m., $8)

If the supergroup Monsters of Rock just isn’t monstrous enough for you, the super folk group Monsters of Folk are willing to compensate. The band consists of indie artists Connor Oberst, M. Ward, Yim Yames, and Mike Mogis and is on tour to promote its newly released eponymous album. They will be at the Auditorium Theatre for their concert benefitting the Illinois Immigrant & Refugee Rights Coalition. (50 East Congress Parkway, 7:30 p.m., $33)

Saturday | October 31

This Halloween weekend, UT will delve into the lives of cloaked characters and ghoulish personas during its week of workshops called “Power! Identity! Resistance!” Featured pieces include “The Stronger” by August Strindberg, “A Borges Project” by Ofer Ravid, and “Sez She” by Jane Martin. Each production showcases a unique theatrical style, but all engage the idea of secretive, shifting identities. (Reynolds Club Third Floor Theater, 8 p.m., free)

Take part in the Music Box Theatre’s annual midnight showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It’s practically required that audience members dress in drag, reenact scenes in the movie, and shout comments at the screen, making them just as campy and entertaining as the musical comedy itself. (3733 North Southport Avenue, 11:59 p.m., $10.50)

Sunday | November 1

Check out the fifth annual Chicago Tap Summit: Take 5 at the Harold Washington Cultural Center. The culmination of the event is a performance featuring tap dancers from across the country as they showcase the many facets of tap, ranging from old-school favorites to contemporary hip-hop trends. (4701 South King Drive, 7 p.m., $20)

Monday | November 2

If you missed The Hurt Locker this summer, be sure to catch it at the Gene Siskel Film Center. The film is a modern-day war movie, following three members of an Explosive Ordinance Disposal unit. It is critically acclaimed for realistically portraying the current situation in Iraq. (164 North State Street, 6:30 p.m., $7)

Tuesday | November 3

Even if keeping kosher isn’t your thing, you can still rock out at the Matisyahu show. The Hasidic Jewish reggae musician’s highly anticipated third album Light was released in August. He is the headliner of the Mavericks Live 2009 tour. (329 North Dearborn Street, 8 p.m., $30)

Wednesday | November 4

While Snoop Dogg may have difficulties performing in other countries, the rap artist will fo' shizzle be performing at the Congress Theater with Method Man. Snoop Dogg is on tour hyping his new album Malice N Wonderland, set to be released in December. (2135 North Milwaukee Avenue, 7 p.m., $36)

Thursday | November 5

In the nature documentary Rabbit à la Berlin, German filmmaker Bartek Konopka uses wild rabbits to examine the fall of communism. Before the Berlin Wall fell, thousands of rabbits led happy existences within its confines, but this dreamy idyll was shattered when the wall was knocked down. The documentary focuses on the relocation and adaptation of the rabbits as they deal with living in the “real world.” (International House, 7 p.m., free)