Stuff To Do (STD) 2/20/09—2/26/09

Harvard Beats Yale, John Oliver—and It’s Okay, I’m a Cyborg.

Friday / February 20

The romantic comedy I’m a Cyborg, But That’s OK tells the love story of a young woman who believes she is a cyborg and a young man who believes he can take people’s souls. Needless to say, the award-winning film is set in a mental institution. The movie is in Korean, but rest assured—there are English subtitles. (Wieboldt 301, 12:50 p.m., free)

Les Lutins du Court-Métrage, or “The Leprechauns of the Short Film,” is a festival that seeks to promote the European film industry with a Francophile slant. In its 11th year, the festival will feature the 25 best films of 2008. (810 North Dearborn Street, 7 p.m., $15)

Saturday / February 21

For its winter quarter comedy show, MAB will be hosting The Daily Show’s senior correspondent John Oliver. The delightful Brit will undoubtedly include bits from his closed-captioning campaign for BBC America, where he facetiously warns viewers that the accents may be hard to understand and need subtitles. (Mandel Hall, 8 p.m., $10 in advance)

While the Harvard-Yale football game is nowhere near as famous or exciting as the “Big Game” between Stanford and UC–Berkeley, filmmaker Kevin Rafferty makes the annual Ivy League battle compelling in Harvard Beats Yale 29–29. Set in 1968, the film not only tells the story of the year’s East Coast match-up, but also tracks the development of the teams and peripheral characters (including George W. Bush and Meryl Streep) from 1968 to the present. (164 North State Street, 7:45 p.m., $7)

Sunday / February 22

The film adaptation of Chuck Palahniuk’s Choke hits the silver screen at Doc this week. The movie follows the episodic life of sex addict Victor Mancini who, in order to pay his mother’s increasing nursing home bills, resorts to conning people for money by choking halfway through dinner and luring someone to save his life. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 1 p.m., $5)

Monday / February 23

Show off your comedic chops at Rooftop Comedy’s National Standup Competition. You will have a mere two minutes to make the crowd laugh as hard as possible. Winners will go on to represent the U of C against Northwestern. (McCormick Tribune Lounge, 8 p.m., free)

Tuesday / February 24

You can have organ music with your after-school snacks at Rockefeller Chapel. Sip on tea and munch on biscuits while enjoying music played on the chapel’s newly restored E.M. Skinner organ in its weekly Tea and Pipes. (Rockefeller Chapel, 4 p.m., free)

Wednesday / February 25

Beyoncé’s younger sister Solange, better known among gossip hounds as the Basement Baby, will be performing with Kanye West protégée Estelle. The two artists are fresh off their appearance at New York City’s Fall Fashion Week. (329 North Dearborn Avenue, 9 p.m., $30.50)

Thursday / February 26

Celebrate your inner Armenian at Armenian Cultural Night hosted by International House. There will be regional food, a performance by Mark Gavoor and the Middle Eastern Musical Ensemble, and a traditional Armenian dance. (International House, 6 p.m., free)

The current Sherry Poet-in-Residence Carl Phillips will be reading selections of his poetry. The National Book Award finalist is a current professor of English and African-American Studies at Washington University in St. Louis. His best known work explores themes of sexuality, spirituality, and mortality. A reception will immediately follow the program. (Classics 110, 5 p.m., free)