STD (Stuff To Do)—5/29/08

Courting Condi, Beyond China: The Taming of the Shrew

Friday / May 29Soak in the dreaminess that is Shahrukh Khan at the Bollywood in the Quads screening of Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. Khan stars as the father of an eight-year-old matchmaker who conspires to make her father fall in love again. Free masala popcorn will also be available for you to munch on during this three-hour film. (Bartlett Quad, 8 p.m., free) Enjoy true Turkish hospitality at the seventh annual Chicago Turkish Festival showcasing the food, music, and dance of Turkey. Be sure to try some orchid ice cream while catching a performance by the Ottoman Military Marching Band. (Daley Plaza, 10 a.m., free) Saturday / May 30The Deans’ Men return to an outdoor stage in its production of The Taming of the Shrew. The Shakespearean comedy is directed by third-year Greg Brew. Playgoers are encouraged to bring blankets to enjoy the show from the grass. (Hutch Courtyard, 2 p.m., free) Explore the trendy Division Street neighborhood at the Do-Division Street Festival. The festival spans 10 city blocks and will feature everything local, from art to music to beer. Chicago natives Flosstradamus will headline the music portion of the festival. (2000 West Division Street, 12 p.m., $5 suggested donation) Sunday / May 31UBallet will be performing the first act of Giselle by Adolphe Adam and Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland for its spring show. Alice in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking Glass are both entirely student-choreographed productions. (International House, 1 p.m., $5) The University Chorus, Motet Choir, and University Symphony Orchestra perform Ralph Vaughn Williams’s “Symphony No. 1, A Sea Symphony.” The symphony is a musical essay based on the work of Walt Whitman. The concert is part of the Heifetz Memorial Concert, Behold, the Sea! (Mandel Hall, 4 p.m., $5) Monday / June 1Doc Films screens a brand new, never before seen print of City of Sadness for the Taiwanese film’s 20th anniversary. The Taiwanese classic by renowned director Hsiao-hsien Hou tells the story of the struggles of aboriginal Taiwanese in the wake of the Kuomintang nationalist government’s arrival in Taiwan. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 7 p.m., $5)Tuesday / June 2Although former Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice didn’t achieve the same rock star status as other politicians of this era, she did inspire a mockumentary musical. Courting Condi follows former Home Alone 2 child actor Devin Ratray’s obsession with Rice across the country from Stanford to Washington, D.C. (164 North State Street, 8 p.m., $7) Artist Matthew Harris will be at the Hyde Park Art Center to discuss his ongoing exhibition Beyond China, which examines the juxtaposition of Chinese modernity and its ancient history. The event is part of the Art Center’s “70 Days for 70 Years” celebration in honor of the center’s 70th anniversary. (5020 South Cornell Avenue, 6 p.m., free) Wednesday / June 3Relive the last few moments of inventor Nikola Tesla’s life with UT’s production of The Last 90 Minutes in the Life of Nikola Tesla. The production is completely student-run, written by fourth-year Lee August Praley, and directed by third-year Phoebe Holtzman. (Reynolds Club Third Floor Theater, 8 p.m., $6) Thursday / June 4When everyone else is working away on the A-Level, you can study in style at the Smart Museum. Tables and chairs will be scattered throughout the museum Thursday night, and fresh-brewed coffee will be available to keep you awake into the wee hours of the morning. There will also be a study break in the lobby at 11 p.m. (Smart Museum, 9 p.m., free)