[img id="77687" align="alignleft"]
A small fire broke out on the roof of the still-under-construction South Campus dorm Saturday afternoon, after an emergency generator overheated and sparked.
Construction workers were testing the generator from inside the building when it sparked, setting fire to the roof at 4:41 p.m. According to University spokesman Bill Harms, the fire was relatively small and caused “very little” damage.
The Chicago Fire Department (CFD) received an emergency call at 4:47 p.m. and arrived on the scene minutes later with 37 fire trucks and over 135 firefighters and emergency medical service (EMS) workers. The CFD reported that the fire was extinguished by 5:09 p.m. No one was injured.
A CFD spokesman said that EMS was dispatched because the fire occurred on a high-rise building, automatically enacting the department’s emergency medical plan.
The fire is still being investigated by the CFD.