STD (Stuff to Do)—10/08 to 10/14

Toy Story 3, Yo Gabba Gabba, and Yoga at Rockefeller

Friday | October 8

Explore the Pilsen neighborhood during its monthly Second Friday Gallery Night, where more than 30 creative spaces in the Chicago Art District keep their doors open until 10 p.m. The galleries around 18th Street and South Halsted will also be hosting wine receptions. (1821 South Halsted Street, 6 p.m., free)

After pre-gaming in Pilsen, head over to the Hyde Park Art Center for their monthly Cocktails and Clay reception. There will be clay sculpting lessons, open exhibits, dancing, and drink specials all night. (5020 South Cornell Avenue, 8 p.m., $15 suggested donation)

Saturday | October 9

While it’s no Blues ‘n’ Ribs, celebrate Chicago’s vibrant vegan community at the annual Vegan Mania Festival. This year’s gathering will feature various Chicago-area chefs, bands, and speakers on everything from the nutritional aspects of going vegan to how to effectively bake desserts without using animal products. (1419 West Blackhawk Street, 10 a.m., free)

Sunday | October 10

Catch the popular Nickelodeon show Yo Gabba Gabba at Yo Gabba Gabba Live! Join all of your favorite characters—including DJ Lance Rock, Brobee, and Foofa—at the jam-packed, fun-filled, hour-long spectacle. (175 North State Street, 2 p.m., $25)

Judge for yourself whether Disney is right in pushing for Toy Story 3 to win the Best Picture Oscar at Doc’s Sunday matinee of the film. Although it came out 15 years after the original Toy Story, the third and final installment of the series managed to captivate audiences worldwide and became the fifth highest grossing film of all time. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 1 p.m., $5)

Monday | October 11

Although Sue is between 65 and 67 million years old, she has only been at the Field Museum for 10 years. Celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Sue the Tyrannosaurus Rex by catching the popular Sue Escapes! exhibit. The exhibit, along with the rest of the museum, will be free this Monday as part of the Target-sponsored Free Second Mondays. (1400 South Lake Shore Drive, 9 a.m., free)

Tuesday | October 12

Relax those sore muscles before midterms start at the weekly restorative yoga sessions in Rockefeller Chapel. The free yoga session is part of Rockefeller Chapel’s Restorative Tuesday series, which also features organ and carillon recitals. (Rockefeller Chapel, 6:45 p.m., free)

Wednesday | October 13

This quarter at Doc Films, Wednesdays feature a retrospective of Stanley Kubrick, showing his early works up to his well-known masterpieces. This week’s film is the 1962 adaptation of Vladimir Nabokov’s Lolita, starring the then-14-year-old Sue Lyon as the namesake of the film that sparked a censorship debacle. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 9:45 p.m., $5)

Thursday | October 14

If Hyde Park Produce just doesn’t cut it for you, get fresh fruits and vegetables at the Hyde Park Farmers Market. Aside from the usual produce, local vendors also sell baked goods, herbs, and fresh-cut flowers. (52nd Place and Harper Court, 7 a.m., free)